PDA

View Full Version : My Comp Slowed way down yesterday !?! raised questions.

AHDRL
1st February 2007, 01:59 PM
Hi people, I hope there is somebody that can tell me what just went on with this thing.
I started my computer yesterday and it took almost 5 minutes to go through the boot-up, sign on, and bring the desktop fully on. It was slower than mollasses bringing up any program I clicked on after that as well. I tried to open Firefox and come to the forum here but it took so long to do things that it just told me the page, (any page) could not be found = "server can not be found". This all occured after the last batch of security updates, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it. After a bunch various things I tried that seamed to do nothing ... it works fine today?!?

I realy don't know what kind of info to give you all in order to help you wrap your minds around this but I realy would like to know what went on with this thing. Here is all the info I can think of to give you.
My computer setup:
Celleron 800 (overclocked 18% to 940+/-)
BioStar main board (onboard; VIA / Phoenix north/south chips set, LAN 10/100, VIA audio)
NVidia 4000 MX DDR TVout 64MB PCI vidio card
2 - 128MB Kingston memory thing cards
SeaGate 80 Gig HD with FC6 on it
(a seperate SeaGate 80 Gig HD with windowsxp on it. The two are not hooked up at the same time)
(I don't know how to get my two HD's hooked up to GRUB so I have been switching the cables back and forth if I want to change operating systems. I hardly ever use windows any ways, even after buying a $30.00 game for it I hardly ever plug it in and play that game. I discovered GLEST on FC6. OK Back to the subject...)

My activities;
-I had DL'ed various CUPS things (2-3 days ago) and other printer things like CUPS in preperation for getting a printer, maybe, this month.
-I DL'ed the 'security updates' the day before yesterday and the computer was fine (I think even with a restart).
-Yesterday I turned on my comp and it was very slow, (as described above), I found it would play Glest but it took for ever to come on. Once a program was loaded it seamed to work only a Little slow but loading programs was as slow as the comps startup.
-I found System>Administration> [services] and [system monitor]. I played with both. I turned off CUPS and anything that looked like it was something to do with printing so that it was not running and would not start with the computer.
- This didn't seam to do any good. When I restarted it was still slower than a slug covered in frozen poo.
- I hooked up my windows HD to see if it acted the same and it was normal, (for windows, which is usualy slower than Linux)
- I re-hooked up my FC6 HD and used a Knoppix CD thinking it would have tools to check my HD for faults. It probably does but I couldn't find them and wouldn't know them unless they were specificaly labled as such.
The point is that yesterday even my Knoppix CD was way slow in responding to anything.
= Today things seam to be back to normal. I don't know why, I don't know how, it's just acting right.

Can any of you shed some light on this. If my computer is on its way to a meltdown I would like some forewarning. If it is simply some softwear thing that worked itself out then I would like to know what to do if it does it again.

Thanks,
AHDRL

JN4OldSchool
1st February 2007, 02:09 PM
Yes, it was the UFO regetta held over your area yesterday. All that anti-gravitational energy put the brakes on your hard drive.

It sounds like a definite hardware problem, I would suspect the hard drive first, sometimes they take a while to finally flake out. Next I would consider RAM. But I would put my money on the HD. Not much you can really do at the moment. Back everything up externally and just keep your eye on it. You can always test the RAM but if it goes through cycles of working/not working that might not show anything anyway. I would say heat could be a factor but this started on boot before the computer even warmed up. No, I have a firm feeling that HD is going out on you. Dont jump the gun, see what it's going to do before you spend any money, but be prepared for it to take a dump on you fairly soon.

EDIT: I just noticed you swap drives! Maybe you just didnt have the IDE or SATA cable pluged in firmly? A piece of dust in the connector even. See if it happens again. But I am smelling HD issues here.

leigh123linux
1st February 2007, 02:18 PM
Hi people, I hope there is somebody that can tell me what just went on with this thing.
I started my computer yesterday and it took almost 5 minutes to go through the boot-up, sign on, and bring the desktop fully on. It was slower than mollasses bringing up any program I clicked on after that as well. I tried to open Firefox and come to the forum here but it took so long to do things that it just told me the page, (any page) could not be found = "server can not be found". This all occured after the last batch of security updates, though I don't know if that had anything to do with it. After a bunch various things I tried that seamed to do nothing ... it works fine today?!?

I realy don't know what kind of info to give you all in order to help you wrap your minds around this but I realy would like to know what went on with this thing. Here is all the info I can think of to give you.
My computer setup:
BioStar main board (onboard; VIA / Phoenix north/south chips set, LAN 10/100, VIA audio)
NVidia 4000 MX DDR TVout 64MB PCI vidio card
2 - 128MB Kingston memory thing cards
SeaGate 80 Gig HD with FC6 on it
(a seperate SeaGate 80 Gig HD with windowsxp on it. The two are not hooked up at the same time)
(I don't know how to get my two HD's hooked up to GRUB so I have been switching the cables back and forth if I want to change operating systems. I hardly ever use windows any ways, even after buying a $30.00 game for it I hardly ever plug it in and play that game. I discovered GLEST on FC6. OK Back to the subject...)

My activities;
-I had DL'ed various CUPS things (2-3 days ago) and other printer things like CUPS in preperation for getting a printer, maybe, this month.
-I DL'ed the 'security updates' the day before yesterday and the computer was fine (I think even with a restart).
-Yesterday I turned on my comp and it was very slow, (as described above), I found it would play Glest but it took for ever to come on. Once a program was loaded it seamed to work only a Little slow but loading programs was as slow as the comps startup.
-I found System>Administration> [services] and [system monitor]. I played with both. I turned off CUPS and anything that looked like it was something to do with printing so that it was not running and would not start with the computer.
- This didn't seam to do any good. When I restarted it was still slower than a slug covered in frozen poo.
- I hooked up my windows HD to see if it acted the same and it was normal, (for windows, which is usualy slower than Linux)
- I re-hooked up my FC6 HD and used a Knoppix CD thinking it would have tools to check my HD for faults. It probably does but I couldn't find them and wouldn't know them unless they were specificaly labled as such.
The point is that yesterday even my Knoppix CD was way slow in responding to anything.
= Today things seam to be back to normal. I don't know why, I don't know how, it's just acting right.

Can any of you shed some light on this. If my computer is on its way to a meltdown I would like some forewarning. If it is simply some softwear thing that worked itself out then I would like to know what to do if it does it again.

Thanks,
AHDRL

Try running it un-overclocked to see if this helps! also try disabling readahead in system services.( all run levels)

JN4OldSchool
1st February 2007, 02:34 PM
Try running it un-overclocked to see if this helps! also try disabling readahead in system services.( all run levels)

Lol, that does sound like some serious OC! I noticed that too.

AHDRL
1st February 2007, 11:53 PM
JN4OldSchool;
...UFO Regetta.. *still laughing :D . I get way to much humor out of that stuff.
This hard drive is only a couple of months old :confused: do they go out that soon?

Maybe you just didnt have the IDE or SATA cable pluged in firmly?
I thought that might have had something to do with it, though I had not swapped it for some weeks, so I detailed that I swap drives to see if anybody had the same thought. I had noticed that my IDE cable was not ALL the way in when I pulled it, although it was still firm, I supose the fans vibrations could have shaken it lose to the point it started slowing the conection... (I hope). It would make sence and explain why it started behaving after I switched it back. I've always known that was not a good solution.
Any pointers to where I can get the info to set up my grub to have both HD's plugged in at the same time? (To make it 'dual boot').

leigh123;
It's good to hear from you again.

also try disabling readahead in system services.( all run levels)
Thanks, I'll try that and maybe back my overclock off as well. I realy don't want to hurt this thing, it's all I can afford right now. I have had it for more than 2 years and I have had it OC'ed to that point all that time.
It seams to be a real work horse ... with a donkeys attitude.

As long as I have your attention guys;
When I had Knoppix in my DVD drive I noticed that it had a setting to Force Direct Memory Access (DMA) for some IDE devices. Is there such a thing in FC6? And would I want to do that? Would it take a little pressure off my CPU?

Thanks guys,
AHDRL
p.s. JN4OldSchool; I have a hat that sais "Old School" on it and being close to 50 with the look of having had a few fights, (not saying I've had them, or not had any), I get some looks some times. Lol, your alias made me think of that.