PDA

View Full Version : How to make DVD ISO?

flying_squirrel
24th January 2007, 07:05 AM
Hello. I want to back up my movies onto ISO's and I can for the most part do this with this command:
dd if=/dev/dvd of=mydvd.iso

but so far it has been making my iso's into the full size, 6 GB or so. Is there a way to shrink them down to 4.2 GB to fit on an ordinary DVD-R? I know there's software that can do this on windows by slightly reducing video quality and leaving the structure intact. Any fedora software recommendations or extra commands I can use?
Thanks.

silvagroup
24th January 2007, 08:03 AM
I just use dvdshrink under wine, and I think there is aversion for Linux haven't tried it because the windows version runs great in wine.

Wayne
24th January 2007, 08:12 AM
You have a choice of k9copy (a KDE app) and dvd95 (for Gnome) and probably a few more that escape me right now. In fact, this topic is probably discussed at least once a week, if not more and a quick look back through the forum will turn up quite a few recent threads.

Wayne

silvagroup
24th January 2007, 08:47 AM
K9copy doesn't appear to be in he ropos's Would he have to download and install? Haven't really tried this yet but couldn't one just get double layer dvd's and use k3b copy dvd? Yeah it's over 4gb but if all you want is to copy the dvd that should work, I think.

Wayne
24th January 2007, 08:55 AM
Haven't really tried this yet but couldn't one just get double layer dvd's and use k3b copy dvd? Yeah it's over 4gb but if all you want is to copy the dvd that should work, I think.

That's a thought but I wonder if it will work for protected DVDs? I'm going to invest in a blank dual layer DVD-R (if they're not too expensive) and give it a shot on one of my non protected DVDs!

Wayne

Wayne
24th January 2007, 11:42 AM
K9copy doesn't appear to be in he ropos's Would he have to download and install? Haven't really tried this yet but couldn't one just get double layer dvd's and use k3b copy dvd? Yeah it's over 4gb but if all you want is to copy the dvd that should work, I think.

A k9Copy RPM is on their download page on sourceforge (Google) Be sure to check its dependencies.

Wayne

Duli
24th January 2007, 01:44 PM
A k9Copy RPM is on their download page on sourceforge (Google) Be sure to check its dependencies.

Wayne

Hello, Guys!

I would recommend not to use the RPM package that is on the k9copy page. Ive installed it several times and it mixes up the system. After installing it, Im not able to get any other k9copy version to work again... Even if I compile it!!!

So I would just recommend to download the source package (the last one - beta2) in the first place and compile it. To do that, its necessary, among other dependencies, the libdvdread-devel. Make sure this package is installed (yum list | grep libdvdread-devel).

There are also other options, like thoggen (http://thoggen.net/), and dvd::rip, which is avaiable through freshrpms repo.

Duli

silvagroup
24th January 2007, 08:03 PM
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/ ihere's another one, t's command line driven.

flying_squirrel
24th January 2007, 08:27 PM
dual-layer discs would be way too expensive (and I don't normally notice the reduced quality on a tv anyway since I don't use an HD TV) for backup and convenience usage.

I've had a lot of problems with dvdshrink on windows in the past so I'm not going to try that.

As far as I can tell, I haven't ran into any copyright protection issues on fedora so far.
Every other suggestion i'll have to try soon.

Duli
24th January 2007, 10:18 PM
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/ ihere's another one, t's command line driven.
Hello,

Do you know how to use it in english? Or it doesn't come in english anyway?

Thanks!
Duli

silvagroup
25th January 2007, 06:18 PM
What you have a problem with German ! Just kidding, I think it does come in English they list that as one of the "Natural" languages on the page, I guess if it's any other language your unnatural, which I also agree with (ha ha) :rolleyes:
OK I digress, haven't used it (I breakout in a rash when I open a terminal) but I would it should be in English somewhere in there. Oh yeah I have been wrong before :eek:

Duli
25th January 2007, 07:14 PM
Hehehe, german is difficult..

Strange, I ran the lxdvdrip binary and even the help was all in german!!!

Ill search for a solution

silvagroup
25th January 2007, 07:21 PM
Maybe this will help http://www.iee.et.tu-dresden.de/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/wernerr/search.sh , sorry, you left yourself open on that one.

Duli
25th January 2007, 07:29 PM
Hey! Aint that handy!! Thanks! :-)

silvagroup
25th January 2007, 09:00 PM
fur yeah sicher, dab ist, was freund sind. Works great :D