PDA

View Full Version : yum install for kde

stlouis1
15th January 2007, 06:12 PM
whats the kde package name for a yum install?

Draciron
15th January 2007, 06:17 PM
Grab something like Yum extender, Gnome yum. Then scroll down to the KDE packages and start selecting them. Whole lot easier than trying to figure out the EXACT name of a package and a whole lot of packages out there I never realized were there until I started using GUI Yum tools.

JN4OldSchool
15th January 2007, 06:19 PM
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

but as mentioned above, try "yum install yumex" and then you can graphically see packages

stlouis1
15th January 2007, 06:20 PM
well, i just did yum install kde* n i think i found the name, pretty sure its kdebase, im running it now. i do have the yum extender, but i got used to the terminal install when first used FC4 6 months ago, so im sticking to what i

edit/// groupinstall kde.........uh oh

stlouis1
15th January 2007, 06:40 PM
k, i have kde installed now. but i dont have the volume control by the clock, or the network manager like i had in gnome. id also like my cpu speed on the taskbar too

my battery meter too, im on a laptop

JN4OldSchool
15th January 2007, 06:52 PM
volume control is easy, just go under multimedia and open kmix. then play with the settings in the applet, it can load at boot. The cpu speed and battery might be a little trickier. There are kde docking applets but I havent fooled with them. You might also try gkrellem.

edit: Duh, scratch that. I use XFCE but I went back into KDE to look. Just right click the panel then add applet. It's all in there.