PDA

View Full Version : Killing PID's

Elliot
15th January 2007, 05:13 PM
Hi i am wanting users to be able to kill each others pid's for a service i have called hlsrv. This is the error i get:

Stopping instance psp/csspriv: pkill: 8141 - Operation not permitted
/etc/init.d/hlsrv: line 101: kill: (8124) - Operation not permitted

The user logged in is an account called auth (its an admin account, with no root privillages, so in affect a normal account) they are wanting to kill a process run by a user called psp.

Any input would be great.

Elliot

stevea
15th January 2007, 05:20 PM
You could give the killer privleges to run a particular command as root using sudo. Alternatively you could force the process to run with some sticky group - to which all users have membership.

I think there is something wrong with your design. Why should a luser be signalling another luser's process in this way ? What is it you are fundamentally trying to implement ?

Elliot
15th January 2007, 05:34 PM
What it is, is i have some game servers running on a server. The run through a service script.

So, i used to manage them all, so i logged in as my account:

service hlsrv start gamename1
service hlsrv start gamename2
service hlsrv start gamename3
service hlsrv start gamename4

now, all of these games where assigned to a customer. i could stop and start them as i please. now what i want to do is to manage them myself, and let the customer manage their own. i have found though, if i start it, a customer can't stop it, or if a custome starts it, i cant stop it, due to the eror above