PDA

View Full Version : Is there a search tool out there other than BEAGLE!?

Jim March
15th January 2007, 04:42 AM
I am absolutely sick to death of Beagle. Something equivelent to <gack!> WinXP "search" would be better or much better yet, something equal to Google Desktop or Copernicus.

I just tried to do a search for an MP3 file I knew I had. I searched for the name of the tune which is the whole name of the file (plus ".mp3"). Beagle couldn't find it. Searched for band name, which was in the MP3 descriptor text, came right up. Beagle can't search on filenames. It can't be restricted to a given directory. It SUUUUCKS.

Help. Please. God. Anybody...I've got five years worth of Diebold Election Systems internal EMails to dig through looking for voting system issues. Beagle is gonna be the death of me...

Dies
15th January 2007, 04:50 AM
I just use locate in a terminal. May or may not be for you.

Edit - oh yeah forgot to mention, if you've never used locate it will give you an error the first time.

Run in a terminal

su -
touch /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db
updatedb

To create a database and update it. you'll need to update it every now and then but you can have cron do this for you as often as you need it to.

Jim March
15th January 2007, 05:24 AM
Sigh.

Problem is, it has no pre-indexing capability, so it'll be slow...

----

I went back and checked that last Beagle search. Turns out the file I had just tried had the band name first in the filename, then the song name. So it was only searching based on the first part of the filename. How hosed is that?

Seve
15th January 2007, 05:41 AM
Hello:
To update the locate command
as root type
updatedb

when it's finished then just type
locate xxxx

you also might want to install nautilus-search-tool

yum install nautilus-search-tool
you will have to reboot to have it enabled

Seve

RupertPupkin
15th January 2007, 06:30 AM
I like the 'find' command. Works every time for me.

GL1800
15th January 2007, 01:29 PM
I understand you are upset with beagle. If I may, perhaps of interest to you, a couple of thoughts, please?
Beagle is not really much about finding files. Not it's job. The "locate" command has been doing that for years. Beagle finds words INSIDE files. Text, ODF, email, etc. If given 2 words, no matter how widely separated they are, it will find the document containing them. It should be run as your user, never root. It is restricted in that way to drilling DOWN from your home dir. Beagle-settings allows excluding dirs of no interest to you. Also, it's early beta software, but getting better every day. I use it daily to locate invoices, and it's a never-fail utility for me. Try this: .mp3 artist:clapton finds everything you have by Clapton.
Hope this helps, Ray

Jim March
16th January 2007, 03:12 AM
Thanks all. Seve: I was wondering where Nautilus search was, now I've got it. Thanks.

---

The main issue I'm having with Beagle is that I can't restrict it to a certain set of subdirectories at the time I initiate search. I have to search my whole homedir.

Well that's a BIG problem for me. I'm a political activist. I've got documents for miles on the same subject. One key set of documents is all down it's own tree. If I search the whole disk, I'll get all sorts of extra gunk.

See...in the summer of 2003 somebody with insider access slipped over 13,000 internal EMails out of Diebold's elections division. They're an invaluable look into the working of those goons. It's all in HTML, originally an internal net-archive of an internal listserve. So it's got date-coded folders and number-coded files within each folder. I need to be able to do a search on a subset of that stuff by date, looking for specific material. Like...example, less than two weeks ago the New York Times reported that one of the three approved test labs for voting machines was disqualified for poor performance last summer. In secret. We know the name of the lab (Ciber) - so just what portions of the Diebold product line did Ciber have a hand in certifying, and at what times? Most of the answers are buried in 13,000 HTML files....

That's the sort of thing I need to dig at. Beagle is completely not ready.

GL1800
16th January 2007, 12:49 PM
Use "beagle-settings" to exclude dirs, patterns, etc. you don't want indexed? Note that this is NOT about the search, rather the indexing. To get a fresh start, nuke ~/.beagle and restart him. There are many tools, try typing beagle and hit the tab twice.