PDA

View Full Version : Need to install OpenOffice 2.1 off Development...

Jim March
15th January 2007, 03:48 AM
Hi all,

I'm new to FC, just installed FC6 on a reformatted disk. I've been using Linux solid for about five months, originally Ubuntu Dapper, then "Edgy" was just too edgy, a bit of time with OpenSuse 10.2 but while it was stable at least, the package management was ghastly.

I had OpenOffice 2.1 with OpenSuse and still need it for certain documents coming from people still stuck in Windoze.

I've been searching this forum and have seen people make throwaway comments to "get it off Dev" but don't know how to do that. At least one thing I tried came from a post on updating alsa, to wit:

yum --enablerepo=development update alsa*

Knowing I had OpenOffice 2.0.4 series installed already, I turned that alsa update into:

yum --enablerepo=development update openoffice*

...and the damnthing tried to update a whole slew of stuff...I'll spare you the long, LONG resulting output and cut to the chase:

Error: Missing Dependency: libcurl.so.3 is needed by package audacious-plugins
Error: Missing Dependency: libcurl.so.3 is needed by package streamtuner
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package Django
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package yumex
Error: Missing Dependency: libedataserver-1.2.so.7 is needed by package deskbar-applet
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package deskbar-applet
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package pessulus
Error: Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package gstreamer-python
Error: Missing Dependency: libpython2.4.so.1.0 is needed by package blender
Error: totem-xine conflicts with totem
Error: totem-xine-mozplugin conflicts with totem

Now I'm thinking all this crap is NOT OpenOffice dependencies? Rather, the SOB is trying to update a slew of other junk off of development?

Well I don't want THAT!

Any clue how to JUST get OpenOffice 2.1? And understand, I'm new enough to FC to have absolutely no real clue what "get it off Development" means - that was the complete advice to one poor soul trying to get OpenOffice 2.1...

daverj
15th January 2007, 03:54 AM
you can always go to the openoffice website and download the rpms for 2.1. That's what I did for FC5 and I didn't have any issues with dependencies. Also, its been very stable.

Wayne
15th January 2007, 04:26 AM
Actually, openoffice is called 'openoffice.org' but even issuing:

yum --enablerepo=development update openoffice.org*

still results in tons of other dependencies being updated. It looks like your only option is to grab it from the openoffice.org website. Luckily 'yum remove openoffice.org' does not delete any other dependencies.

Wayne

Jim March
15th January 2007, 04:37 AM
Well yeah, I've got the download, but it's got a ****load of RPMs for different components. Any ideas which to do first? I guess the "core" first, then the word processing/spreadsheet/etc bits?

Wayne
15th January 2007, 05:31 AM
Well yeah, I've got the download, but it's got a ****load of RPMs for different components. Any ideas which to do first? I guess the "core" first, then the word processing/spreadsheet/etc bits?

No, it's actually quite simple:

http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/instructions.html

Wayne

daverj
15th January 2007, 05:31 AM
I forget which one to do first. however, if I remember correctly, installing the first one automatically does all the rest.

Wayne
15th January 2007, 06:34 AM
I forget which one to do first. however, if I remember correctly, installing the first one automatically does all the rest.

If the install instructions are followed it takes care of the order itself.

Wayne

Jim March
15th January 2007, 08:30 AM
Ah. OK, that makes sense. RTFM :).

Ended up here:

http://download.openoffice.org/2.1.0/instructions.html

...and it worked. Heh. Am I ever embarassed :). Oh well. Thanks. Sometimes telling somebody to RTFM-=is=- the right answer.

Jim March
15th January 2007, 08:32 AM
One thing though: even though I left the "gnome integration" RPM in there, it didn't put itself into the menus. No biggie, I just took the desktop icon it created and stuck it into my top toolbar, then reset pointers for .odt, .wpd, .doc and xls files. But it seems odd that "gnome integration" didn't do diddly...

Wayne
15th January 2007, 08:48 AM
One thing though: even though I left the "gnome integration" RPM in there, it didn't put itself into the menus. No biggie, I just took the desktop icon it created and stuck it into my top toolbar, then reset pointers for .odt, .wpd, .doc and xls files. But it seems odd that "gnome integration" didn't do diddly...

In a subfolder there are more RPMs, one is freedesktop integration and another is Redhat. Did you try either of those? Curious as I'm thinking of taking the same route.

Edit: Did you logout of Gnome and back in? That may make a difference.

Wayne

Jim March
15th January 2007, 10:41 AM
Welll...I wasn't sure just how close the kinship is between Fedora and Red Hat distros, so...once I had it working I decided "it ain't broke, don't fix it".

:)

Sorry. Cleaned up the rpms along with a bunch of others before you asked :(. And since my ISP gets wiggy about bandwidth, I'm reluctant to re-grab in any case.

(I'm on Verizon's EVDO wireless, basically low-grade DSL in urban areas. The PCMCIA card is WAY funky to get working in Linux, I gave up and spent an extra $200 on an external router with it's own PCMCIA re-distributing the Veriizon "funky cellphone signal" to both Ethernet and WiFi (Kyocera KR1). It was worth it to be to get that fairly high powered RF source (the PCMCIA card) six feet away from my nuts for the lengths of time I'm online instead of right on my lap :rolleyes:.)

Wayne
15th January 2007, 10:50 AM
Welll...I wasn't sure just how close the kinship is between Fedora and Red Hat distros, so...once I had it working I decided "it ain't broke, don't fix it".

:)

Sorry. Cleaned up the rpms along with a bunch of others before you asked :(. And since my ISP gets wiggy about bandwidth, I'm reluctant to re-grab in any case.

(I'm on Verizon's EVDO wireless, basically low-grade DSL in urban areas. The PCMCIA card is WAY funky to get working in Linux, I gave up and spent an extra $200 on an external router with it's own PCMCIA re-distributing the Veriizon "funky cellphone signal" to both Ethernet and WiFi (Kyocera KR1). It was worth it to be to get that fairly high powered RF source (the PCMCIA card) six feet away from my nuts for the lengths of time I'm online instead of right on my lap :rolleyes:.)

No problem, I'll find out for myself soon enough :D

sorry to hear about your ADSL problems. Never had my ISP complain about my uploads/downloads. Things work differently in these parts :D

Wayne

Jim March
16th January 2007, 03:17 AM
Well now something else cropped up. The auto-updater wants to update "Openoffice 2.0.4" which I don't even HAVE yet. I'm afraid it will break 2.1 like a hampster in a dryer if I let it "update".

WTF?

Wayne
16th January 2007, 03:35 AM
Well now something else cropped up. The auto-updater wants to update "Openoffice 2.0.4" which I don't even HAVE yet. I'm afraid it will break 2.1 like a hampster in a dryer if I let it "update".

WTF?

Open /etc/yum.conf as root and add the line:

exclude=openoffice.org

to the bottom of the [main] section.

Wayne

Jim March
16th January 2007, 05:02 AM
Very cool. I assume it'll work after a reboot.

Hey, any ideas why another auto-update isn't working?

Something called "faad2" giving a dependency error:

Missing Dependency: faad2 = 2.0-19.20050131.lvn6 is needed by package xmms-faad2

Is this a side effect of installing xmms?

Jim March
17th January 2007, 08:05 AM
rondonjin: for some reason, that did NOT work. Dang thing still demands to "upgrade" openoffice. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim March
17th January 2007, 08:12 AM
Update: for grins'n'giggles I decided to see what happens if I allow the "update".

It tells me "I want to add dependencies" which is, you guessed it, the whole 2.0.4 suite.

Yes, of course I said "cancel". But yeesh, this is downright messy.

Jim March
17th January 2007, 07:45 PM
WORKING: it turns out you need to add an asterisk to the end of the line in question:

exclude=openoffice.org*

Mucho thanks to Seve for supplying literally the last byte needed :).

Jim March
18th January 2007, 12:06 AM
One more update: DO NOT leave the Red Hat "desktop integration" RPM in there. The OpenOffice installer will omit the desktop icon and give you NO link to your shiny new programs whatsoever. And there's no easy way to fix it either, except to create a new program icon on the desktop pointing to the program at:

/opt/openoffice.org2.1/program/soffice

Best bet: before installing, yank the entire "desktop integration" set of RPMs for all distros.

Mitlik
25th January 2007, 10:07 PM
Really? I installed the desktop-integration rpm and it worked fine. I don't have desktop buttons anywhere, but then again I tend to delete such things, but all the programs show up in their proper place in the office directory of the menu.

I'm sorry you had such a hard time of it Jim, but it at least made my time easier by following along.

Jim March
25th January 2007, 11:49 PM
Well...lack of the "desktop menu item" ain't a big deal to me. I'm OK with an icon and copy the icon into the top toolbar where I stick other frequently-used apps...

paul matthijsse
26th January 2007, 12:04 AM
Well now something else cropped up. The auto-updater wants to update "Openoffice 2.0.4" which I don't even HAVE yet. I'm afraid it will break 2.1 like a hampster in a dryer if I let it "update".Apart from rondonijns suggestion, if your openoffice suite works well, why updating it, kowing that that can produce problems...? I think this whole update circus for FC6 produces a *lot* of unexpected (side) problems. Without updating, your machine stays stable. With updating, not always, to say the least.

Cheers, Paul.

paul matthijsse
26th January 2007, 12:13 AM
One more update: DO NOT leave the Red Hat "desktop integration" RPM in there. The OpenOffice installer will omit the desktop icon and give you NO link to your shiny new programs whatsoever. Strange, I managed to install "desktop integration" for OpenOffice Writer simply by applying that "rpm -Uvf RedHat" command (or something like that) in the desktop integration directory without any problems. OOwriter is in my menus...

Jim March
26th January 2007, 07:08 PM
Paul: the issue of auto-updates breaking the system in odd ways is becoming my number one reason to discount FC6 as a "Grandma Millie" distro.

It's *great* for geeks. But here's where "granny" would choke:

* If FC6 has a minor issue, the error messages are startling and harsh, and THEN dump you to the command line. Just this morning some transient glitch on my laptop's touchpad device caused X not to start. This despite my also having a PS2-port Logitec trackball that was clearly working. A bit of failure redundancy OR a clear error message like "hey, something is up with your mouse, why don't you power down, check cables, bring it back up and it'll probably be fine" would be sweet.

* Cutting-edge kernels breaking existing bits like flash/SD access. This happened a few days ago. A permissions reset command at the console fixed it but...a newbie would have been stumped.

* A ghastly installer.

paul matthijsse
26th January 2007, 10:06 PM
Jim, I agree. FC6 is still not for "the masses". It can run very well and is even extremely stable (on my particular hardware at least), but in order to reach "that state", there's a lot of tuning and "cli-ing" involved.

About updating, I try to limit this to the minimum, as I have no good experiences with that, like black screens etc., as you mentioned. I just upgraded Evolution because something was not or not well enough working. Result: I can't say anymore "Mail - New", because the address list is empty. Rather basic function that nobody apparently discovered. There's an option in the menus of Evolution to file a bug, so I did that. But when pushing the "Send bug report" button, it says "Don't know how to handle your request because this is not a Gnome application" or something. So I was left in the dark at this point.

I know this will be solved in a short time, it's not a big deal either, and I know this is part of open source as well, you'll have to learn to live with that. Let me end by saying that Evolution works very well for me, I organize my life with this app. So no bashing involved, I just want to point to this update thing that everyone wants to do everyday, and I say, this is not the best way to keep a FC6 machine stable...

And now it's really time - 10 pm - for my Friday night beer! -:)

Cheers, Paul.