PDA

View Full Version : GNOME & KDE Environments Questions

SyntheticShield
14th January 2007, 09:19 PM
I have a couple question regarding the two environments.

When I re-installed FC6 on my laptop, I kept the GNOME desktop just to see what all I could do with it. To configure it, customize the layout and all that jazz.

Now that I have played with it some I want to switch to the KDE environment. How do I do that? Next, when I minimize a program in GNOME it disappears off the screen. Like its minimzed it to the system tray or something and I dont know how to restore it. I ran into a problem where I was trying to add some applications and minimized the updater and couldnt restore it. I tried to open a new instance and of course it says there is already one running.

I think I like the KDE environment a little better but I want both installed for now so I can experiment with both and make a final decision. So if you could offer some input on the above questions I would greatly appreciate it.

Seve
14th January 2007, 09:26 PM
Hello:
To install KDE use yum ... open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
youpassword
yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

Once it is installed, log out of user and select Session [lower left] and select KDE and log into KDE.

In Gnome if you minimize a window it goes to the panel, if the panel is set to autohide for example, you may not see it.

Seve

SyntheticShield
14th January 2007, 09:32 PM
Thank you Seve.

I have the KDE installed, just wasnt sure how to switch to it.

I dont have the panel set to autohide in GNOME, that thought had crossed my mind, so I pulled up the options for the taskbar and made sure that wasnt selected, but I also didnt see anything specifically dealing with the disappearing apps either, LOL.

Thanks for your help. I'll use the KDE for a little bit and go from there.

Reisswolf
15th January 2007, 05:14 AM
Sometimes an incorrect screen resolution will cause the task bar to disappear. If you set your screen's resolution to something higher than it can handle, you might have the kind of problem you are describing.

Try setting the resolution to 640x480 or some such thing; see if the panel reappears.