PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 no longer sees my java install

schwim
14th January 2007, 02:27 AM
Hey there guys,

I've been testing java applets tonight, and I opened up FF and noticed that FF is no longer recognizing that I have java installed.

about: plugins states that I only have flash installed, yet if I look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, libjavaplugin_oji.so is still sitting there nice and pretty, as well as totem, helix, totem, etc.

Why has FF quit recognizing all of my plugins?

thanks,
json

Wayne
14th January 2007, 02:29 AM
Hey there guys,

I've been testing java applets tonight, and I opened up FF and noticed that FF is no longer recognizing that I have java installed.

about: plugins states that I only have flash installed, yet if I look in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, libjavaplugin_oji.so is still sitting there nice and pretty, as well as totem, helix, totem, etc.

Why has FF quit recognizing all of my plugins?

thanks,
json

Firefox 2.0.x doesn't notice plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. You have to copy them to the Firefox 2 plugins folder.

Edit: That's been my experience anyway, same goes for Swiftfox.

Wayne

schwim
14th January 2007, 02:37 AM
Hi there wayne,

Thanks very much for your reply. I tried copying the files over to firefox-2.0/plugins, but the only new one to get recognized is the mplayer plugin. Java is still a no-go.

Is there a proper way of moving the files over that I don't know of?

thanks,
json

Wayne
14th January 2007, 02:42 AM
Hi there wayne,

Thanks very much for your reply. I tried copying the files over to firefox-2.0/plugins, but the only new one to get recognized is the mplayer plugin. Java is still a no-go.

Is there a proper way of moving the files over that I don't know of?

thanks,
json

I just used Nautilus from a root Terminal to copy them. Try linking the Java plugin from your Java plugin directory to the Firefox 2 plugin directory as you would normally do when you install Java.

Edit: For me that would be:

ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /opt/swiftfox/plugins

Wayne

schwim
14th January 2007, 03:53 AM
Hi there Wayne,

Thanks very much for that. It seems to have done the trick :)

thanks,
json