PDA

View Full Version : Install software

JoeFrezza
13th January 2007, 02:32 PM
Hello people!
I'm new to this forum, so Hi! to everyone!
I'm actually quite new to Linux as well, although I already read my share of how-to's etc.

4 months and 4 distributions later my proficiency in the new 'environment' has improved a lot, but there's one thing I still haven't managed to achieve: installing software available on cd/dvd support.

I have no problems using yum/apt or deb/rpm, but when it comes to software I have available on a different support I'm at a loss.

Every month I purchase a Linux Magazine that includes a dvd full of goodies, but as of today I couldn't successfully install any of them.

Latest example: I have a dvd with 'freevo 1.6.0', an open source multimedia center application. It comes as a tar.gz file. The instructions on the magazine, like for all the other software it ships with, are to extract the tarball, move to the newly created directory and execute the following commands:

./configure
make
su (enter root's pw)
make install

This all makes sense to me, but for one reason or another it never works. Sometimes, like in this case, right from the word go, as this is what happens:

[joe@localhost freevo-1.6.0]$ ./configure
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
[joe@localhost freevo-1.6.0]$

On other occasions it states there's no make file available, and I suppose that's an issue with dependancies, but I'm not sure.

Could anyone please explain to me how all this works?

Also, can yum be used to install this kind of packages or is it only for downloaded packages? What if you have the package already (perhaps you downloaded it on another pc with a faster internet connection...). Would it be able to resolve the dependencies downloading from the repos only what's not available locally?

Thanks for any help! :)

zeroelixis
13th January 2007, 03:15 PM
check that the directory contains a file called 'configure' which produces the make files. To compile you will need basic development tools like gcc,automake,autoconf which can be installed through yum. Check the programs readme for specific requirements.

JoeFrezza
13th January 2007, 03:42 PM
The directory does not contain any 'configure' file. And it's not hidden either. I've got the gcc, autoconf etc. installed.

The readme file lists a number of dependancies that I'd be happy to install, but first I'd like to get the './configure' sorted before I start downloading and cluttering the system with programs I may not eventually need.

Thanks for your reply, though. Any other ideas?

JN4OldSchool
13th January 2007, 03:57 PM
dont feel bad, I've been at this a while and I cant compile most of those DVD programs either. You might have a problem if you cant configure anything at all, but I have found that I can successfully install probably 1 out of 3 apps with no trouble. The rest of the time I either get such a tangled dependancy mess it no longer becomes worth the bother or I have libs and such in the wrong places. I dont have this much problem with other distros and i suspect the FC file structure may be a little different.

zeroelixis
13th January 2007, 04:30 PM
When you run "./configure" your telling the terminal to execute the file "configure" in that directory, so if its not there, its not going to run. Maybe there is an "autogen.sh" file which does the same job as configure. Also copy the folder to your home directory as when compiling it writes to the same directory, so it wont be able to do that on a commercial DVD.

leigh123linux
13th January 2007, 04:37 PM
try this ----------------

su
python setup.py install

JoeFrezza
13th January 2007, 05:25 PM
That's it Leigh, thank you!

python setup.py install is the right answer.

Now of course I have to deal with the dependencies, but at least I know how to set it up!

Thank you! :)

zeroelixis
13th January 2007, 06:12 PM
Used the DVD's before leigh? :)

leigh123linux
13th January 2007, 06:21 PM
Used the DVD's before leigh? :)

No , Some packages use this command to build/install

zeroelixis
13th January 2007, 06:46 PM
Oh I see. I used to have DVDs like this and the programs it came with normally used configure environments not python guess py makes it a whole lot easier.