PDA

View Full Version : Grub problems

Retod
13th January 2007, 07:07 AM
Hoping I can get this fixed. I just finished installing FC 6 last night and installed QT from source, which isn't the problem other than it took about 12 hours to compile. Today I tried to hook up a 2.5 HD via the usb adaptor. Didn't see the HD anywhere and since i wasn't sure if it would mount I checked the LVM and fiddled with things better left alone. Activate entity was what I selected on what I thought was the external and since I didn't see a way to undo it there I rebooted. My first reaction was "GRUB! Why am I seeing this?"

I've tried the first disk to use the rescue option but after doing chroot /mnt/sysimage I run into my own wall of ignorance trying to understand the commands and where the find the config file to edit.

Only one hard drive and one partition, no other OS' installed. I would like to not compile QT again if someone can help.

Seve
13th January 2007, 10:03 AM
Hello:
Boot from the linux install disk again as you likely just need to re-install grub ...... from what I can glean from you post
chroot /mnt/sysimage
fdisk -l
to identify where you want grub installed
it should show something like
/dev/ha
/dev/hda1
etc....

then
grub-install /dev/hda <-- this will install grub on the mbr of /dev/hda

exit
and reboot and you should be good to go

Seve

Retod
13th January 2007, 11:41 AM
Still amazed. Went digging on the bookshelf for my brothers desktop reference. Good thing too since I need something to read. Thanks for the response. Fdisk of all things heh