PDA

View Full Version : Misbehaving Panel

saywot
11th January 2007, 06:25 PM
I use the Gnome desktop, with a top panel that has the 'footprint' - Browse and run installed applications, the browser/eMail client/Open Office buttons/ a notification area then the network monitor and clock.
The bottom panel *used* to have an area that said (depending on the application running) " starting web-browser" or "starting eMail" plus a desktop switcher and the trash can. it was also where the minimised windows rested

The lower panel failed, I was able easily enough to get the panel back and restore 3 of the previous tenants but don't know what the starting applications thing was called nor why minimised windows just close and won't re-open

So what were these things called and how do I get them back ?

nick.stumpos
11th January 2007, 06:46 PM
right click on panel go to add to panel select window list

saywot
12th January 2007, 05:18 AM
So what were these things called and ...........

I have restored most of the things I needed, When I minimise a window it once lived on the bottom panel waiting to be revived now it completely vanishes,

For example if I have the mail client and the browser open and try and do a 'cut and paste' from a web-page to an eMail. I would copy the required text from the page, then minimise the browser, and paste into the document, restore the browser to check that I have the required quotes, minimise it and send the Email.

Now when either application (or any application) is minimised it vanishes and has to be re-started

Wayne
12th January 2007, 05:22 AM
I have restored most of the things I needed, When I minimise a window it once lived on the bottom panel waiting to be revived now it completely vanishes,

For example if I have the mail client and the browser open and try and do a 'cut and paste' from a web-page to an eMail. I would copy the required text from the page, then minimise the browser, and paste into the document, restore the browser to check that I have the required quotes, minimise it and send the Email.

Now when either application (or any application) is minimised it vanishes and has to be re-started

If you've re-added the 'Window List' as Nick suggested, right-click on it (there's a drag bar to the left of 3 horizontal lines) choose 'Properties' and select to show items from all desktops.

Wayne

saywot
12th January 2007, 05:43 AM
If you've re-added the 'Window List' as Nick suggested, right-click on it (there's a drag bar to the left of 3 horizontal lines) choose 'Properties' and select to show items from all desktops.

Ah, that's the one !

Merci