PDA

View Full Version : Freezes when running Maya

flangust
11th January 2007, 07:20 AM
I'm getting what seem to be random freezes when using Maya 7 on FC5. I'll be working away, usually with a music player in the background and everything just stops. The system doesn't crash just freezes. I'm just curious if anyone has some suggestions on what avenues to look down.

Thanks

System:

AMD FX X2 4600+
4GB Ram
Nvidia 7900GS (dual)
kernel 2.6.18

brunson
11th January 2007, 09:27 AM
I had similar behavior in Doom 3. It was because I was oveflowing the texture cache in my 3d card and everything would pause when it loaded more. I reduced the resolution of the textures and it went away. I don't know if it's at all related, but Maya is a 3d accelerated application, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

flangust
11th January 2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. How did you change the texture res? Was it an in program settings on on the graphics card settings?

brunson
11th January 2007, 07:06 PM
It was a setting (several, actually) in the game.

flangust
14th January 2007, 07:25 PM
well, that suggestion doesn't really work with Maya. Though I did find the default texture resolution setting. I still have problem with my system freezing when running Maya. I'm curious whether it's the kernel doing this. Does anyone know how to install a spefic version of the kernel using yum?

Thanks for the suggestion Brunson.