PDA

View Full Version : Linux - could it be more less user friendly...

ampapa
11th January 2007, 02:16 AM
I'm having a problem getting KDE to start all I get is a text mode for running commands. I've tried running startx and I get the error remove ".../tmp/.X0-lock.." If I remove that and try again to startx again I'm right back where I started.

I checked the /etc/inittab file and the runlevelis set to 5:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Signed,

FRUSTRATED!!! :(

Seve
11th January 2007, 02:23 AM
I'm having a problem getting KDE to start all I get is a text mode for running commands. I've tried running startx and I get the error remove ".../tmp/.X0-lock.." If I remove that and try again to startx again I'm right back where I started.

I checked the /etc/inittab file and the runlevelis set to 5:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
# 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
# 1 - Single user mode
# 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
# 3 - Full multiuser mode
# 4 - unused
# 5 - X11
# 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Signed,

FRUSTRATED!!! :(
Hello:
Lotsa KDE users here so hang in there. :)

Is this a fresh install ?
If so, what happens when you first boot the PC does it come up with a gui log in?
Do you have the same behaviour with Gnome?

Seve

ampapa
11th January 2007, 02:32 AM
Yes, a relatively fresh install, I did do an #yum -y updgrade to get everything updated.

Yes, I get a GUI for the login then the text mode.

Gnome??? I'm not sure how to ID it? Is it installed by default?

Seve
11th January 2007, 02:46 AM
Hello:
Gnome is installed unless you selected otherwise.
When the gui log in comes up you should see a selection titled Sessions
near the bottom left.
Click on this and select Gnome and then log in and see what happens

Seve

ampapa
11th January 2007, 02:52 AM
I see the "sessions" but no gnome option only:

Last Session
1. Default System Session
Failsafe Terminal

Seve
11th January 2007, 03:09 AM
Hello:
Seems odd ? It appears that you may not have any Graphical Desktop installed?
The way things are now ..... has this been the way it has been since your initial install?
Have you never been able to get into KDE or Gnome?

If your box is connected to the internet boot it up and make sure you boot into runlevel 3

su -
your password
and type
yum groupinstall "X Window System" " KDE (K Desktop Environment)" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

In the exact syntax as above with the quotation marks.

This will install KDE and Gnome desktops as well as any X that is missing.
When it's finished reboot and change back to runlevel 5 and see if KDE and or Gnome are available for you.

Seve

ampapa
11th January 2007, 04:11 AM
That seemed to have worked, I'm now able to boot into a GUI but getting an error to the effect of "users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session from being saved...." any ideas?

When I did the #yum groupinstall' it did a bunch of GNOME and KDE but not much in terms of X...

How do I make KDE the default GUI?

Thanks,

Seve
11th January 2007, 04:21 AM
Hello:

the effect of "users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session from being saved...." any ideas?
This is because you have somehow changed the permissions / ownership of certain files from the standard.
This is something that may or may not be easily corrected. Even creating a new user may not correct this.
I can try if you like and help you, however, you may want to keep the idea of a fresh install in mind as my help may not work.

How do I make KDE the default GUI?
Thanks,
You can do that through the Sessions selection that you tried before, just pay attention to the instructions / selections. You will have an opportunity to make some choices.

Seve

ampapa
11th January 2007, 04:25 AM
Instead of keeping you on the hook let me iron out what I've got going and I'll repost if I can't get it solved. Are there any issues with ignoring it for now?

Thanks for your help it was invaluable!!

Seve
11th January 2007, 04:38 AM
Hello:
The main issue is that you will not have a "normal user" account and you will most likely have to do everything as root.
This is not how the system is designed to be used and can/may create a lot of problems, security among the top issues.

You can play around with what you have, however, I would recommend re-installing or at the very least try and correct the permission/ownership problems. :)

Seve

Peyj
21st January 2007, 06:36 PM
To create a new user: at startup, in GRUB press Enter and then "a" at the end of the line type reconfig. Then, when starting up, you'll get the First start configruation guide. The last step there is to create a normal user.