PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect to the internet

skoalman88
10th January 2007, 07:14 PM
Before my question is posed, please be advised that I am a newbie and have no idea what I am doing.

I have a linksys wireless adapter and in order to connect to the router I use a WEP key. When I try to activate the network connection, I get a "check cable" message. My questions are how do I install the adapter and where do I type in the WEP key.

Thank you.

Shooter
10th January 2007, 09:00 PM
You didn't mention what linux you are using. Just guessing that it is a recient version of Fedora (say 5 or 6). If so, you can use the GUI tools to set the WEP key. From the Menu: "System"->"Administration"->"Network" will bring up the Network Configuration GUI. Select the network device from the list and press the "edit" button. If the system recognizes the device to be a wireless device, there will be a "Wireless Settings" tab. That tab has a place to enter your wep key.

skoalman88
10th January 2007, 10:17 PM
Sorry, I am using Fedora Core 6. I think the major problem is that I do not have the driver for the linksys device. I tried the program that allows you to use the windows driver, but I am not able to install it (again, I am a Newbie)

Thanks in advance.

Brian1
10th January 2007, 11:38 PM
First thing to eleminate is turn off wep, wpa, mac or ip filtering. Make it as simply as can be. Then try to connect to the router. If not then one can start at the basics. Once that connection is made one can then start applying encrpytion and so on.

Brian

skoalman88
11th January 2007, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately, I can only connect to the router that requires a WEP key. I do not have access to any others and won't in the near future. Again, I think the major issue is that Linksys does not provide a linux driver for their products. Also, I have no idea what I am doing and that appears to be the biggest obstacle.

Iron_Mike
11th January 2007, 02:52 AM
Before my question is posed, please be advised that I am a newbie and have no idea what I am doing.

I have a linksys wireless adapter and in order to connect to the router I use a WEP key. When I try to activate the network connection, I get a "check cable" message. My questions are how do I install the adapter and where do I type in the WEP key.

Thank you.

It looks like your problem is 3 fold. When you installed FC* it didn't recognize your wireless as a wireless device and assumed it was a wired device and since it can't establish a connection you get the error mentioned above. To fix it for now go to system ->administration ->network select your entry remove the check mark for "activate on boot"

Next, your linksys wireless adapter is NOT supported natively in FC* you will have to install Ndiswrapper which is a curmudgeon fix that uses windows drivers that wrapped so FC can use them. Do a search here for linksys, ndiswrapper etc, plenty topics here that cover the installation.

Next, if your using WEP you will need to add a entry to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts ether ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1, more than likely it will be your ifcfg-eth1 file, and add your WEP key.

gnjunior
11th January 2007, 02:55 AM
Sorry, I am using Fedora Core 6. I think the major problem is that I do not have the driver for the linksys device. I tried the program that allows you to use the windows driver, but I am not able to install it (again, I am a Newbie)

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Check the exact model number of your card including the version to find out the chipset vendor.
Could be supported with ndiswrapper:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

If it looks good you could install ndiswrapper from livna repo like so:
yum install ndiswrapper

If you don't have yum configured with a third party packagers, you can follow this guide, if you choose livna you should stick with this one only.

You can "su" first, and forget the sudo command:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html#yum

Once ndiswrapper installed follow this guide:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation#Install_Windows_driver

If you have a WMP11V4, you might as well forget WEP for this card.
I think earlier then V4 can.

Good Luck

skoalman88
11th January 2007, 03:53 AM
I really appreciate all of the help. I tried to install ndiswrapper, but there was a kernel issue. I am going to study linux more in depth and hopefully I can accomplish something. As a newbie, this issue has turned me off to Fedora, but I have a Mandriva DVD I am yet to install. From what I gather, that OS is much more "newbie friendly".

Thank you again.

skoalman88
11th January 2007, 05:09 AM
Update:

I tried to install ndiswrapper and had a kernel issue (I think others have experienced this). If I read the text correctly, the kernel in FC6 is not up to the specs necessary to install ndiswrapper. I can't update anything, however, because I can't get online.

Brian1
11th January 2007, 10:27 PM
Yes the kernel source for FC is fine. The issue is have you installed it yet. If you have not installed the kernel-devel-******.rpm that matches your current running kernel then this is more than likely your problem. Many post on the subject here. Search here for kernel-devel and get that resolved if that is not done yet.

To see if it installed run the command ' rpm -qa | grep kernel '. It will list the current running kernel version. Then look for kernel-devel that matches the version of kernel. For kernel version run command ' uname -r '

This is based on if using default or upgraded kernels installed as rpms.

Brian

skoalman88
12th January 2007, 03:43 AM
O.k. I did what Brian suggested and I did not see anything labeled "kernel-devel". From what I gather, I have to install it from the DVD. I am going to attempt this in 5 minutes. I am sure you are all very excited.

: )

skoalman88
12th January 2007, 04:11 AM
I isnatlled the kernel-devel from the DVD and now I get a "gcc: command cannot be found" error when trying to install ndiswrapper. When I try to install the gcc rpm from the dvd, the installer tries to connect to the network (which is unavailable) and the install fails. This has become quite the drama. Good thing the weekend is approaching.

Brian1
13th January 2007, 05:16 PM
Type the command ' gcc -v ' to see if gcc is installed. gcc rpm should be on the install disc, but I think I have seen this issue with the latest fc6 stuff. It may be using gcc4 and ndiswrapper is wanting gcc3.

Brian