PDA

View Full Version : What exactly do I do with a .tar.gz file????

helpwithcore6
1st January 2007, 07:55 AM
Hello again, Another noob question, how do I run and install a .tar.gz . DO I have to extract the file?? Then what do I run?? I installed gDesklets-0.35.3, I have no idea how to get this files running?

stevea
1st January 2007, 08:08 AM
The command "tar -xzvf foo.tar.gz" will extract the contents into the current directory.

*TYPICALLY* you will was th "cd the_directory" since the package usually creates a single top directory.

Then the commands:
./configure
make
make install
---
Note that this is just the typical tarball installation. You should definitely read the readme files and any other getting started instructions.

Tarballs are often named foo.tgz rather than foo.tar.gz ... treat them identically.
----
I would STRONGLY urge that instead of installing this package from tarball that you use the "yum" package manager. Try this command:
yum install gdesklets

-S

Dan
1st January 2007, 02:51 PM
Good Morning

In this case, if you are referring to the desklets displays themselves, rather than the base program, don't do anything at all with the tar.gz file. Just open the installed gdesklets manager, and drag the desklets display tarball (*.tar.gz) over to it, and drop it in. It will handle the unpackaging all by itself.

Dan