PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core Question Sheet

thehitman316
29th December 2006, 03:58 PM
Hello, for those who read my previous post on windows vs FC writing an essay there is another part where I have to write a question and answer sheet for new users like myself. I know it sounds stupid but can anyone give me some questions or areas to think of to include in this question and answer sheet. Thank you all :D

Christy
29th December 2006, 04:19 PM
I would suggest checking out existing Q&A pages, like the Fedora FAQ. They usually discuss things that newcomers have questions about. http://www.fedorafaq.org/

Edit: not sure what version of FC you're looking at, but even though the Fedora FAQ is for FC5, I believe it is (pretty much) all still relevant for FC6.

JN4OldSchool
29th December 2006, 04:48 PM
1. How much computer experience would you say you have?
2. Have you ever used regedit?
3. Can you use fdisk?
4. Why are you thinking about switching to Linux?
5. Would you consider yourself a good problem solver?
6. Can you fluently use Google or other search engines to do research?
7. Are you aware that Linux is officially unsupported? Are you prepared for this?
8. Do you give up easily or do you attack a problem till it's solved?
9. Are you willing to work for results?
10. Are you more concerned with the wrapping paper or what is inside the box?

I could probably think of 50 more, but this is a start. Notice I covered more in personality traits then in computer experience. I feel this is infinitly more important. Mindset is the key. You got to get into Linux for the right reasons and you have to be the right personality type. If you expect everything to be done for you then you wont get far. If you find that feeling you get in solving problems and fixing things is reward enough for your effort then you will go a long way with Linux. But most important, dont get into Linux because you are looking for a replacement for Windows. It's OK to hate Windows, I do, but keep it in prespective. Linux is NOT Windows and you will only be dissapointed if that is what you are looking for.