PDA

View Full Version : how to change screen refresh rate

andersjc1
29th December 2006, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone. I just installed F core 5 and I am a brand new linux user. I installed core5 on an old computer running a 450mhz p2 with 128megs of ram (soon to be upgraded to 256). I have an old nVidia TNT graphics card with 16megs of video ram and it seems to be working very well. I have run into one large problem however! My old dell 15'' flat panel doesn't support fedora's default screen refresh rate of 85hz when running at the native 1024x768. I had to plug my projector into the computer in order to use the gui to change the refresh rate to 60hz which the monitor supports. Problem is that whenever i log out or restart, the refresh rate is reverted to the default 85hz. Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this problem? thanks for the help!

bob
29th December 2006, 02:14 PM
Try signing into a terminal as root (su -) and then 'gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and making sure you have the correct settings in VertRefresh under "Section Monitor". See this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139966

MgFrobozz
29th December 2006, 10:55 PM
I was able to fix things up for my Dell 2407 using /usr/bin/system-config-display, which appears in my kde menu at Administration/Display. You'll need to enter the root password to use it.

* Select the Hardware tab.
* Click on "Configure" in the "Monitor Type" section.
* Browse down to "Dell", expand that entry (by clicking on the > symbol).
* Select the line representing your 15" monitor.
* Click the "OK" button.

This changes section "Monitor" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and should fix up the HorizSync and VertRefresh settings in that section. As I recall, you need to stop and restart X to force the new setting to take effect.