PDA

View Full Version : Why I still use Windows

glennzo
28th December 2006, 02:02 PM
I know that there's a post somewhere in these forums asking 'why do you still use windows', but I can't find it. Here's why, and I'll preface this with the statement that I use Fedora 99% of the time. I just joined the ranks of the unemployed. Laid off December 20th after 12 years with the company. Merry friggin Christmas. Since I'm jobless I've spent time on the web looking at job postings. Near the bottom of the postings it clearly states that resumes must be in Microsoft Word format only. Pain in the butt. That, my friends, is why I still have Windows on a computer or 2. I'm forced to go to the dark side to send a resume to a prospective employer. Keeping Windows on your computer is about the same as keeping that old pair of sneakers around for those times when you need to do yard work.

srs
28th December 2006, 02:10 PM
OpenOffice supports M$ Word format or you can run M$ Word via Wine or CrossOver Office. No need to run Windows :)

SRS

Seve
28th December 2006, 02:11 PM
Near the bottom of the postings it clearly states that resumes must be in Microsoft Word format only.
Hello glennzo:
You can easily save any document in OO to a MS doc format and send it that way.
Try it out by sending it to friend who has MS office installed, just to test it out. :)

Seve

glennzo
28th December 2006, 02:27 PM
Wow! You guys are so right! I feel, at once, shot down before my landing gear even left the tarmac and stupid. I guess I'm not thinking clearly now that I have nothing to do all day. :D

thedude
28th December 2006, 03:05 PM
that sucks out loud glennzo. our prayers are with you and good luck with the job hunting.

techmatt
28th December 2006, 04:17 PM
I don't know it this will help but worth a shot if you are in IT.
See if there is a Teksystems close to you and call them they have helped me get 10 different jobs.

Link to there location finder
http://www.teksystems.com/Locations/Default.aspx

God luck on all you future endeavors