PDA

View Full Version : When using ./configure on Kaffeine, Xine-lib is not detected.

Cookies
28th December 2006, 02:47 AM
Hello there Fedora Forum, as you can see I am new, I have been using Fedora for about 2 years, I believe, but I have only recently figured out source code.

So, my question to you is this: I do not have Root permissions (and won't have theme, most likely) so I need to install all programs to my Home folder, so far it's worked well, and I got Xine to install there, but when I went to install Kaffeine, the KDE Media Player, it cannot find Xine-lib and configure has this error:

checking for xine-lib... no

-----------------------------------------
ERROR: Could not find xine-lib >= 1.0.2.
-----------------------------------------

configure: error: could not find xine-lib

And, when I run the command given by the Xine website to tell frontends, like Kaffeine, that Xine-lib exists, which is:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/xine --with-xine-prefix=$HOME/xine

And I run it, and it tells me to do this:

xine-lib will be installed to /home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib

This path is not mentioned among the linker search paths in your
/etc/ld.so.conf. This means it is possible that xine-lib will
not be found when you try to compile or run a program using it.
If this happens, you should add /home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib to
the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH like that:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Alternatively you can add a line "/home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib"
to your /etc/ld.so.conf.

So my question is, where DO I put that? And, is there anything else I must do?

Specifics for computer:

Fedora Core 6
Intel Pentium 4
Kernel 2.6.18
KDE 3.5.4

~Thanks in advance.

u-noneinc-s
28th December 2006, 03:32 AM
You may need to install xine-lib-devel. If it complains about other packages after that, apply the same reasoning. Devel packages are needed for compiling.

Cookies
28th December 2006, 04:14 AM
You may need to install xine-lib-devel. If it complains about other packages after that, apply the same reasoning. Devel packages are needed for compiling.

Ah, so, how do I get a Devel?

u-noneinc-s
28th December 2006, 04:45 AM
If you installed xine and xine lib with the OS (or with yum) then yum install xine-libs-devel. This is always the preferred method of package installations for Fedora. Alway use yum when you can.

However if you chose to compile xine and xine-lib then you should probably do the same for xine-libs-devel since yum and compiling often install to different locations.

I just checked and kaffeine is available through yum, so
yum install kaffeine should do the trick and take care odf all dependencies.
You do need to be root to run yum.

You can also do
yum install yumex and get a nice GUI for yum.

Cookies
28th December 2006, 05:40 AM
If you installed xine and xine lib with the OS (or with yum) then yum install xine-libs-devel. This is always the preferred method of package installations for Fedora. Alway use yum when you can.

However if you chose to compile xine and xine-lib then you should probably do the same for xine-libs-devel since yum and compiling often install to different locations.

I just checked and kaffeine is available through yum, so
yum install kaffeine should do the trick and take care odf all dependencies.
You do need to be root to run yum.

You can also do
yum install yumex and get a nice GUI for yum.

Ah, okay, thanks, but I cannot use Yum because our friend Root, sooo, do you have any source downloads? (Sorry if I'm a bother)

u-noneinc-s
28th December 2006, 06:08 AM
I just did a reply to this, but it seems to not be here so I must have exited by mistake. Your initial post says what you need to do, but I think you also need to be root to do that.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and it said alternatively you could add the line "/home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib" to your
/etc/ld.so.conf.
I am not really up on compiling or shared libs, but yum or tarballs, it seems to me like you are going to need the assistance of your admin. (root).
Or better advice from this forum than I am qualified to give.

Cookies
28th December 2006, 08:56 PM
I just did a reply to this, but it seems to not be here so I must have exited by mistake. Your initial post says what you need to do, but I think you also need to be root to do that.

and it said alternatively you could add the line "/home/zak/xine--with-xine-prefix=/home/zak/xine/lib" to your
/etc/ld.so.conf.
I am not really up on compiling or shared libs, but yum or tarballs, it seems to me like you are going to need the assistance of your admin. (root).
Or better advice from this forum than I am qualified to give.

:/ Okay, well, I guess I'll politely ask Mr. Root.

Thanks for trying to help. :)