PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade info

weazle
28th December 2006, 02:36 AM
I just got the joy of trying to figure out what packages have been updated on all my linux servers (fedora/Red Hat) for an audit. Oh the Joy. Is there any easy way to find out what/when things have been updated since a certain date (ie 1/1/2006 till now?)

Thanks.

Lindy
28th December 2006, 03:23 AM
Yum keeps a log of installs & updates in /var/log/yum.log. The other update utils. (smart, apt ) probably do much the same.

u-noneinc-s
28th December 2006, 03:29 AM
My yum log goes back to Apr (presumably when I upgraded to FC5), so if you're luck you just could cover the year (yum.log through yum.log.4)

weazle
28th December 2006, 10:26 PM
Yah up2date (for redhat) and yum logs got rolled... previous sysadmin set logrotate to do it daily and only keep a week...

Lindy
29th December 2006, 02:07 AM
Yah up2date (for redhat) and yum logs got rolled... previous sysadmin set logrotate to do it daily and only keep a week...

Ouch! sounds like you're hosed on the yum logs. Is there still an install log in the root account? If there is you could try running ==> yum list > list.txt (or whatever you want to call the file ) ,and comparing it to the install.log
==> diff install.log list.txt > diff.txt I tried this myself and the resulting file is quite a bit to wade throughb but it will give you someplace to start