PDA

View Full Version : format unallocated space

skyshadow
25th December 2006, 11:22 PM
I used ghost to copy over my fc6 install to a new 160gb hard drive. When i did this it left me with a 127gb unused partition. I'm not really concerned with merging the two partitions i just want to use that partition for back up and other data. How can i format this part of the drive in fc6?

Thanks in advance

Pazuzu
26th December 2006, 04:36 AM
is it really an unused "partition" or do you mean 127gb of unused "space"? Assuming you actually meant that it's a partition, you should examine the partition's "type" as set in the partition table and format the partition accordingly. For example, if you found out that the 127gb is set to type 83 (linux, ext2) then you could format it via

mke2fs /dev/hda2

(assuming that it is the 2nd partition). You should post the output of

sfdisk -l

and we may be able to offer you more specific advice.

Dies
26th December 2006, 05:59 PM
Just open a terminal and type

su -
yum install gparted.i386

Then head to Applications>System Tools>Gparted, you can select the drive in the upper right hand corner and it will give you a graphical representation of your drive, just click in the empty space and make a partition then select a filesystem to format it to.
You can use ntfs or ext2 if you want to share it with Windows, if not ext3 is probably the way to go.

leigh123linux
26th December 2006, 06:05 PM
You can use ntfs or ext2 if you want to share it with Windows

Can windows do ext2 now?

Dies
26th December 2006, 06:33 PM
Oh yeah, for while buddy. You didn't know? Good for you, lol.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

It's pretty nice, works well, glad I have even though I can't remember the last time I had any use for it, but hey you never know.