PDA

View Full Version : I lost 7 GB of storage space in my NTFS partition.

joe.pelayo
24th December 2006, 06:27 AM
Today I 'lost' about 7 GB in my NTFS partition and really don't know why and what to do to get them back.

Next Monday I will go on vacation and will take the laptop with me so I decided to take a movie with me so I won't be bored. Since I don't like to carry the DVDs with me I usually transfer them to the hard drive as ISO images.

Well today I left my FC6 doing that job (Windows refuses to do so due to DRM) and decided to put it in my NTFS partition (so Windows can see it too). It is a 7.5GB DVD and the process was to slow so I left the computer unattended for a while (about 3 hours) and when I returned I found it frozen (the only alternative was a 'hard reboot'). Well, when I got in to my FC again and searched for the file I found it to be of the ridiculous size of 67MB but about 7GB were missing!!! (I tried to mount that little file but it did not work, after that I deleted it and did not recover the missing space either)

I have looked for hidden files but found nothing (neither in Linux nor in Windows) and after checking the size of all my 'visible' data I realized there are about 7GB missing.

Is there something I can do to rescue that space in my hard drive?

Seve
24th December 2006, 06:57 AM
Hello:
Just a thought
Do you have system-restore enabled on xp ? if so, it's likely holding that data somewhere just in case ....... ?

Seve

brunson
24th December 2006, 07:05 AM
I'm not aware of an NTFS driver for Linux that claims anything other than alpha status, use-at-your-own-risk, write capablility. You used it at your own risk, now you'll probably need to rely on Windows utilities to restore the disk. Good luck.

joe.pelayo
24th December 2006, 07:16 AM
I have booted into Windows and ran something in the console so it will check the disk after reboot.
I have not rebooted yet :D

Thanks for the luck, I think I will need it.

joe.pelayo
24th December 2006, 08:15 AM
Very well, after I made the reboot in Windows XP the partition was checked and the lost free space recovered :) . Now I am making the same ISO again but taking care of the machine.
Thanks for your posts.