PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a simplified way of getting all around MP3 support on Fedora Core 6.?

mrbones
24th December 2006, 02:38 AM
I am having the hardest time setting Fedora to recognise MP3's All the programs I have say I need a specific codex and another attempt stated a bug in either Rhythmbox or GStreamer.
Anyone else run into this?

Dan
24th December 2006, 03:18 AM
EDIT: Forget that! Just try this.

From the Gnome GUI, try the following:

Applications>add/remove software>uncategorized>check: Base for RPM.Livna.org RPM repository

Then, go to the category: Desktop Environment>Gnome>check: gstreamer-plugins-ugly

Tell it OK. That should do it. Stand back and watch the magic.

Dan

Or: Follow Seve's advice and link to the fast way. :)

mrbones
24th December 2006, 04:02 AM
Hmmm well none of that is showing up... I have Rhythmbox but I cant seem to find the specifics your stating in the Add/Remove. however I do see: Uncatagorized - Window Managers.
Anything else you may have in mind?

Dan
24th December 2006, 04:19 AM
Well, Seve had a fast and dirty link, but his post disappeared. Try going here, follow the listed instructions, and do it from the terminal.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=140813

Dan

EDIT: Regarding the above instructions... (removed)

Seve
24th December 2006, 04:24 AM
Well, Seve had a fast and dirty link, but his post disappeared. Try going here, follow the listed instructions, and do it from the terminal.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=140813

Dan
Hello Dan:
Yes, I deleted the thing as soon as I noticed that you had posted.
Didn't think it added anything.....and I didn't want to add to the confusion :)

Seve

Dan
24th December 2006, 04:28 AM
Hi Seve!

I thought so. Now that I think about it, I added the gstreamer-plugins-ugly first. I'll bet it loaded up the Livna repo in the dependencies. So it may not pop up by default. However, I had completely spaced Foolish's thread until I saw your post. :p

So, ready for the big night? Got the shopping done and the cooking ready?

Dan

Seve
24th December 2006, 04:45 AM
Hello Dan:
A couple small items to pick up tomorrow and all is well ..... for this year.
And you?
I suspect you narrowed down your camera choices.
Say, did you get all that snow ?

Seve

mrbones
24th December 2006, 04:58 AM
thanks that was s much simpler than I thought it was going to be, now however is there a way to make K3B recognise the MP3 format?

Dan
24th December 2006, 05:01 AM
Yeah! We got snowed on decisively! But it was kind of patchy. Some places got a few inches, some got buried. I guess Pueblo (Bill Martinez) didn't get hit like Denver (rappermas) and the eastern plains did. In all, I guess we only got a foot to a foot and a half or so out here, depending on where you measured. But the wind played the devil with it, and stacked it up 8 feet deep in places. The highways were closed and the Post Offices shut down and the airport closed for two days. :p (Slackers!)

But the hard cold is what cancelled our travel plans for us. :( I screwed up and ran low on heating oil, and can't get more till Tuesday.

And I settled on the FinePix camera like Sailor's. Global Computer had a heck of a sale on them. Although, I've got my eye on the Nikon D50... Just need to win the lottery. (Guess I'd better start buying tickets!) :p

Mr. Bones: Applications>Add/Remove Software>Desktop Environments>KDE> (see below)

(removed)

Seve
24th December 2006, 05:05 AM
Hello:
Everything is simple in FC ...... once you get a little pointer now and then. :)
I believe you need to install either or both
k3b-extras
and
k3b-extras-nonfree

both are availabe from the livna repo.

Seve

Seve
24th December 2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah! We got snowed on decisively! But it was kind of patchy. Some places got a few inches, some got buried. I guess Pueblo (Bill Martinez) didn't get hit like Denver (rappermas) and the eastern plains did. In all, I guess we only got a foot to a foot and a half or so out here, depending on where you measured. But the wind played the devil with it, and stacked it up 8 feet deep in places. The highways were closed and the Post Offices shut down and the airport closed for two days. :p (Slackers!)

But the hard cold is what cancelled our travel plans for us. :( I screwed up and ran low on heating oil, and can't get more till Tuesday.

And I settled on the FinePix camera like Sailor's. Global Computer had a heck of a sale on them. Although, I've got my eye on the Nikon D50... Just need to win the lottery. (Guess I'd better start buying tickets!) :p
Hello Dan:
Well as long as Santa can find you guys ... it will be okay :)

Aren't new shiny electronics addictive ...... :eek:

Seve

Dan
24th December 2006, 05:18 AM
Hello Dan:
Well as long as Santa can find you guys ... it will be okay :)

Aren't new shiny electronics addictive ...... :eek:

Seve I dunno! :eek: It's a gift for the better half! :p

But... Maybe she'll let me look at it once in a while! :D

mrbones
24th December 2006, 05:45 AM
Hmm well dont know what to tell you but it seems to still be an ongoing issue...

Dan
24th December 2006, 05:54 AM
I'm going to be limited help here, Mr. Bones. I run Gnome rather than KDE. Maybe Seve has a better answer.

Seve
24th December 2006, 05:55 AM
Hello:
Which is the issue ?
Mp3's not playing?
Perhaps you need to install some codecs you can get the latest here : http://www4.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20061022.tar.bz2
and the instructions for installing them are here :
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Codecs

Seve

Seve
24th December 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm going to be limited help here, Mr. Bones. I run Gnome rather than KDE. Maybe Seve has a better answer.
Hello Dan:
What is KDE again?
I use Gnome as well ..... although I do use k3b, however I have not burnt any mp3's ..... so I am no help there. :)

Dan, I think the better half will really like that gift. They are so handy .... renders the 35mm to the dust bin.
I am sure we will see some new gallery shots sometime in the new year :D

Seve

wmc1369
24th December 2006, 06:01 AM
try using the fedora friend at www.fedorafriend.org to install k3b with all the plugins (except emovix). it will also install your media players and codecs with ease.

mrbones
24th December 2006, 06:07 AM
yeah Im using KDE programs on Gnome is that an issue in itself? the Media players work just not K3B :P JUST KDE is not playing or seeing the MP3 format as compatable.

Seve
24th December 2006, 06:13 AM
Hello:
You can use k3b or other kde related programs in Gnome.
k3b is for burning discs?
Is it that k3b does not know how to treat mp3 files ?

Seve

mrbones
24th December 2006, 07:01 AM
basicaly K3B is not seeing MP3's as compatable I am DL alot of things from Fedora Friend, im hoping that this clears the issue.

mrbones
24th December 2006, 07:06 AM
an d to answer the original question, yes K3B is for making cd's just as if your using NERO ect. I was a diehard windows user, but after a horrible crash I started using Fedora, but man some of the blocks the software has is a little annoying. But its wonderfull its Open.

mrbones
24th December 2006, 05:54 PM
And Fedora friend has fixed my issue:P thanks guys.

b00st
24th December 2006, 06:58 PM
mrbones, you really didn't need the fedora friends. :/

You had only needed to add the livna repository and the instruction given using add/remove programs would have worked.

wmc1369
24th December 2006, 07:54 PM
the fedora friend at www.fedorafriend.org will install those codecs for you automatically if you just want a point and click solution.

mrbones
25th December 2006, 05:17 AM
Hey another question... Azureus seems to attempt to load but it shuts off instantly, would this have anyhting to do with the recent codex DL or is there something further I need to do?

mrbones
25th December 2006, 05:17 AM
It will load the Interface, but after a seccond, it shuts down.

Seve
25th December 2006, 05:26 AM
It will load the Interface, but after a seccond, it shuts down.
Hello:
Try opening it from a terminal and post the messages that are displayed.

Seve

mrbones
25th December 2006, 05:34 AM
Im still a bit Newb exactly how sould I go about that?

Seve
25th December 2006, 06:13 AM
Im still a bit Newb exactly how sould I go about that?
Hello:
No problem :)
Applications / Accessories / Terminal
then type
azureus

I think that is the name of the program .. sorry I don't have it installed to test. :)

While you have a terminal open log in as root and do a
yum -y install nautilus-open-terminal
this will install a nautilus script, so when you right click your mouse will give you the option to open a terminal. [You will have to reboot after to enable it]

Seve

mrbones
25th December 2006, 06:25 AM
Of course the most simple ay is the right way:P here is the error...

# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb102ef12, pid=8331, tid=3086306176
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_09-b01 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C [libgtkjni-2.8.so+0x7af12]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid8331.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
# http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
/usr/bin/azureus: line 18: 8331 Aborted LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/eclipse:/usr/lib CLASSPATH=/usr/lib/eclipse/swt-gtk-3.2.jar:`build-classpath bcprov jakarta-commons-cli log4j gtk2.8 glib0.2`:/usr/share/azureus/Azureus2.jar java -Dgnu.gcj.runtime.VMClassLoader.library_control=nev er -Dazureus.install.path=$APPDIR org.gudy.azureus2.ui.swt.Main "$@"

mrbones
25th December 2006, 06:30 AM
also here is what happens when I Yum install, or rather attempt to install Nautilus-open-terminal...
[Bones@**-***-***-** ~]$ su
Password:
[root@**-***-***-** Bones]# yum -y install nautilus-open-terminal
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading "skip-broken" plugin
rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - (-30977)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in ?
yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 85, in main
base.getOptionsConfig(args)
File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 199, in getOptionsConfig
errorlevel=opts.errorlevel)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 125, in doConfigSetup
self.conf = config.readMainConfig(startupconf)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 597, in readMainConfig
yumvars['releasever'] = _getsysver(startupconf.installroot, startupconf.distroverpkg)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/yum/config.py", line 656, in _getsysver
idx = ts.dbMatch('provides', distroverpkg)
TypeError: rpmdb open failed
[root@**-***-***-** Bones]#

Seve
25th December 2006, 06:32 AM
Hello:
I think there were others having a similar problem on the forums .... Have a look here: http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142109&highlight=azureus
You also might want to consider upgrading your Java to 1.6.0
which is available here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
and the instructions for installing it correctly are located here :
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html#Java
Just make sure to pay attention to the version you have versus the notes. :)

Seve