PDA

View Full Version : Strange yumex problem FC6

u-noneinc-s
23rd December 2006, 05:02 AM
I have read a lot of threads about yumex hanging on FC6 (many may be due to yum-updatesd, but not all).
I have just found yumex sitting with one of the processes half done and it just sat. I moved the pointer to open a terminal to check and see if it was active or dead, and as soon as the pointer hit the pain (info window), the one process started and finished loading, and the next one started and stopped. As soon as I moved the pointer out of the info pain it started and finished and went on the next and stopped again. You guessed it, as soon as the pointer hit the pain, it started. :eek:
I can move the mouse all around the pain (when it's in the pain) and nothing happens til it leaves the pain, and visa versa when it's out of the pain. I can move it all over the desktop and the yumex window but it wont start til it enters the pain. :rolleyes: :confused:

If anybody knows what's going on it would be nice to know, but otherwise, I thought this might at least help others that are experiencing yumex hang.

b_martinez
23rd December 2006, 06:51 AM
I did that today. Figured it was a problem with the repos. Just tried yumex again, and ran across the same problem you're haveing. the output that caught my eye was "sqlite cache needs updating" , about 5 times. Each time, it reloaded the metadata, and every time it downloaded the changelogs. I do NOT have the changelogs selected . Trying now with yumex started from terminal.
Same thing happening,without the sqlite warning. Loading changelogs. Reloading metadata.
[copied from terminal]:

[root@the-asylum ~]# yumex
GUI Setup Completted
Mirrordetection : fastest
Yum Version : 3.0.1 (/usr/share/yum-cli)
[Yum] Excluding Packages in global exclude list
[Yum] Finished
Failure getting http://fedora.colorado.edu/linux/core/updates/6/x86_64/repodata/filelists.xml.gz:
--> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Failure getting http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/6/x86_64/repodata/filelists.xml.gz:
--> [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Repository initialization completed in 526.66 seconds
[end copy]
9 1/2 minutes for something that usually takes 29 -30 seconds.
What's up with that?
Bill

u-noneinc-s
23rd December 2006, 07:07 AM
I've noticed that after setting it up and loading all the repos the first time, it was running pretty fast but then it took a long time to create the "install" list, and after that it still takes a long time to display the list and still have to wait for it to become responsive. All in all, I think it's slower than it was on 5. I think it was after I configured it to load package info that it started doing that hanging.

Maybe a yumex reinstall is in order. I still like yumes, and I'll probably just leave it open after installing/updating (unless it becomes a resource hog).

I take it yumex is a gnome based app, and I had lots of problems with Gnome after installation. I was going to play with it for a while, but I had several unexplained/unknown crashes and a couple of outright gnome-session crashes during the first update (seen threads about this) so it's possible there are multiple packages causing some confusion.
I just said the heck with it and installed KDE.

b_martinez
23rd December 2006, 07:40 AM
[quote]
I've noticed that after setting it up and loading all the repos the first time, it was running pretty fast but then it took a long time to create the "install" list, and after that it still takes a long time to display the list and still have to wait for it to become responsive. All in all, I think it's slower than it was on 5. I think it was after I configured it to load package info that it started doing that hanging.
[endquote]
Yeah, but I've had the slow response time since I installed FC6. Also figured it was the repos being hammered.
Just out of curiousity, I tried it with 'KYum'. Nowhere near the lag time. Total run time less than one minute. core,extras,livna,livna-testing and updates are the repos I have enabled.
Possibly a problem with the yum update of a few days ago? [The 10 minute load time I mean.]
I also tried it with the development repos enabled. Maybe 2 minutes total time. If this keeps up, I'm going to stick with KYum.
Bill

u-noneinc-s
23rd December 2006, 08:00 AM
I'll check it out.
BTW, I just checked my rpm log and I have a massive quantity of dupes. Probably too many to go through in one chunk. I just hope none of them are going to take a bunch of deps with them (or here's hoping the deps are dupes too). ;) I've seen a few threads on this too.
I may just go far a reinstall. I don't know yet.

So far, I like it. I got the 686 kernel like I was supposed to. desktop-effects work great out of the box on my old ATI Radeon 7000. Don't think I have enough card for beryl or compiz though.
Enough babble. Getting off topic. Back to work [Ca-ra-a-a-ck the whip).

b_martinez
23rd December 2006, 08:12 AM
You may want to hold off on the KYum. After I ran the test, my livna repos were all useless. Something wiped the baseurl and the mirrorlist off the repo files.
The core and updates and extras repos were not affected. Now I've gotta re-install the repos. RPM install gives me 'already installed' for the package.
Bill

off topic-->[Not a prob for me with the kernel. Running a 64bit box.]<--off topic

need to crash, have to go shopping tomorrow morning.Actually , this morning.
Good luck
Bill

u-noneinc-s
23rd December 2006, 08:15 PM
I uninstalled all my dupes. A handful at a time with yumex worked pretty well til i got to the libs, and then everything wanted to be removed for deps. So I went to yum and sorted the rpm -q list with the -d and went through the same procedure of a handfull at a time, and only 2 or 3 deps got removed and I immediately installed them after removal. 90+ dupes removed and yumex is noticeably faster now, but that strange hang is still there.
I still think FC5 yumex was faster ... with package info, and with best mirror detection (which loads the 3 best repos for each enabled repo)