PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of Questions.......bear with me

steven1350
22nd December 2006, 09:33 PM
First of all, how do I disable automatic updates? I drives me crazy every time I startup that there are new updates?

Secondly, I installed jdk1.6.0. Everything works fine, except for one thing. At the bash shell, when I type "java", I get the version 1.4.2. If I type "javac", it is 1.6.0. How do stop the old version from being used, and how do I set it to the newer one?

Third...For you msn users, how do I get aMSN to start when I log in (if thats possible). If aMSN can't, is there a program that can?

Thanks in advance,
Steven1350

bryancole
22nd December 2006, 10:13 PM
1) run "system-config-services" (System->Administration->Services), select yum-updatesd from the list of services and click the Stop button. It should report that the service has been stopped. Then make sure the yum-updatesd is *unchecked* and click save, to prevent the service from being restarted on next bootup.

2) When you run java from the command line, it uses whichever java version is found first on your search path. To make sure that java-1.6 is found first, add the location of the binary to *the start* of your PATH variable. Add a line to your ~/.bashrc file like

PATH=/opt/jre1.6.0/bin;$PATH

where, on my system, the java distribution is located in /opt. Modify this accordingly for your installation. You'll need to logout for this to take effect.

3) I've no idea about anything MSN-related.

ilbh
22nd December 2006, 10:51 PM
if you want amsn to start every time you log in, just let it open when you log off, then it will be starting every time you log in.

Brian1
23rd December 2006, 12:03 AM
For java check this post #8 http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=141194&highlight=alternatives

Brian

steven1350
23rd December 2006, 04:00 AM
1) run "system-config-services" (System->Administration->Services), select yum-updatesd from the list of services and click the Stop button. It should report that the service has been stopped. Then make sure the yum-updatesd is *unchecked* and click save, to prevent the service from being restarted on next bootup.

2) When you run java from the command line, it uses whichever java version is found first on your search path. To make sure that java-1.6 is found first, add the location of the binary to *the start* of your PATH variable. Add a line to your ~/.bashrc file like

PATH=/opt/jre1.6.0/bin;$PATH

where, on my system, the java distribution is located in /opt. Modify this accordingly for your installation. You'll need to logout for this to take effect.

3) I've no idea about anything MSN-related.

thanks, but the path thingy doesnt seem to work. After I changed it, I couldnt log in. I tried it at bash "PATH=/usr/java/jdk1.6.0/bin;$PATH",
and I got an error saying
"bash: /usr/java/jdk1.6.0/bin: is a directory"

nick.stumpos
23rd December 2006, 04:36 AM
put the path to where you installed java. probably in /opt. also did you set the alternative program to having java 1.6.0 as the active installation. if you want a complete walkthrough to check your install steps check out the link in my sig.

steven1350
23rd December 2006, 03:13 PM
put the path to where you installed java. probably in /opt. also did you set the alternative program to having java 1.6.0 as the active installation. if you want a complete walkthrough to check your install steps check out the link in my sig.

I got it to work. :cool:

Now I need to be be able to read/write ntfs partitons. I used yum to install ntfs-3g, but I have no idea how to use it... :rolleyes:

ilbh
23rd December 2006, 10:28 PM
you can use it as simple as that:
# mkdir /mnt/windows
# ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
if you want to mount it on boot you should do
# gedit /etc/fstab
add one line to it:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
set selinux permissive
and it is done

just replace hda1 to the device you want to use
and doing all it as root

steven1350
23rd December 2006, 10:41 PM
you can use it as simple as that:
# mkdir /mnt/windows
# ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
if you want to mount it on boot you should do
# gedit /etc/fstab
add one line to it:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults 0 0
set selinux permissive
and it is done

just replace hda1 to the device you want to use
and doing all it as root

when typing that at bash, I get an error

[root@localhost mnt]# ntfs-3g /dev/hda /mnt/windows/
Error opening partition device: No medium found
Failed to startup volume: No medium found
Failed to mount '/dev/hda': No medium found

Is there something I did wrong? Do I need to specifiy which partition? If so, how?

ilbh
23rd December 2006, 11:41 PM
you must specify the device, like hda1 or hda2 or hdb1 or hdb2 and so on... you are trying to mount hda only, it is hda1 or anyone else.
post the output of:
/sbin/fdisk -l
( that l = L )

steven1350
24th December 2006, 03:45 AM
you must specify the device, like hda1 or hda2 or hdb1 or hdb2 and so on... you are trying to mount hda only, it is hda1 or anyone else.
post the output of:
/sbin/fdisk -l
( that l = L )

there is no output........ :confused:

[s2marsde@localhost ~]$ /sbin/fdisk -l
[s2marsde@localhost ~]$

EDIT: Ok, I realized I needed to do that as root

[root@localhost s2marsde]# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 300.0 GB, 300069052416 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 36481 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 31506 253071913+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 35332 36481 9237375 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda3 31507 31519 104422+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 31520 35331 30619890 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 31520 35331 30619858+ 8e Linux LVM

Partition table entries are not in disk order

ANOTHER EDIT....... :rolleyes:

I got it to work...... :D