PDA

View Full Version : mplayerplug-in with firefox 32-bit

ggulik
22nd December 2006, 05:23 PM
When I first installed FC6 on my Core 2 Ultra system I know I had mplayer and specificially the mplayerplug-in working. This morning it no longer worked. At some point I must have done an update and didn't notice that mplayer was updated to the 64 bit version:

mplayerplug-in-3.31-2.fc6 x86_64

This whole thing of managing 32bit and 64bit packages is getting very messy and very annoying. Short of re-installing the 32bit version of FC6 is there an easier way to manage all this stuff so stuff that needs to be 32bit stays 32bits even after updates and the 64bit stuff that needs the highest performance doesn't get messed up?

Jman
24th December 2006, 03:09 AM
I suppose you could play with yum's exclude to exclude firefox.x86_64 and other relevant packages somehow. The thing is, 64 bit packages have priority over 32 bit ones, so you see them return like that.

For firefox I have both installed and have hacked up the /usr/bin/firefox script, commenting out the 64 bit part.

ggulik
28th December 2006, 04:25 PM
Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the ASUS P5B-VM is a deeply flawed motherboard and the source of a great many of my x86_64 problems in general.

I'm going to need to find a new motherboard and quickly. Only once I resolve some really serious issues can I spend the time on resolving things like respository issues.

Absolutely critical is the ability to use my existing Core 2 Ultra E6400 CPU plus it must have the ability to support 4G or more of RAM without crashing constantly.

In case you are considering the P5B-VM, here are the most serious problems with the board:
- Cannot use more than 2.8G of RAM. The memory remapping BIOS feature is just plain broken. The system won't pass memtest86+ with that enabled.
- Serious ATAPI issues. I couldn't get any DVD burner to work reliably in this system. I ended up putting my DVD+/-RW drive into a IEEE1394 enclosure and using it that way.
- Runs pretty hot.

Dies
28th December 2006, 07:35 PM
I don't know much about that particular board, but I can tell you that newer Asus boards are finnicky when it comes to memory so making sure the memory you install is on the compatible list is very important.
Corsair seems to be a good choice.

leigh123linux
28th December 2006, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that the ASUS P5B-VM is a deeply flawed motherboard and the source of a great many of my x86_64 problems in general.

I'm going to need to find a new motherboard and quickly. Only once I resolve some really serious issues can I spend the time on resolving things like respository issues.

Absolutely critical is the ability to use my existing Core 2 Ultra E6400 CPU plus it must have the ability to support 4G or more of RAM without crashing constantly.

In case you are considering the P5B-VM, here are the most serious problems with the board:
- Cannot use more than 2.8G of RAM. The memory remapping BIOS feature is just plain broken. The system won't pass memtest86+ with that enabled.
- Serious ATAPI issues. I couldn't get any DVD burner to work reliably in this system. I ended up putting my DVD+/-RW drive into a IEEE1394 enclosure and using it that way.
- Runs pretty hot.

checkout gigabyte or DFI for mainboard

ggulik
28th December 2006, 07:48 PM
I've tried three brands of memory so far, including Kingston right from their list in the manual. Still no dice. I've since read in other forums that 4G just doesn't work on this particular motherboard.

My concern is if it's a motherboard issue or a chipset issue. I like the G965 chipset, it has the features I want, so if it's an ASUS problem I can easily go to a different G965 based motherboard from someone other than ASUS.