PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 7 and J2SE 6

techiex
21st December 2006, 03:54 PM
So now that Sun has pushed for Java to be Open source, is there going to be any effort to put it into FC7 instead of using GNU Java runtime ("libgcj")?
I tried searching for any Java 6 projects on the Fedora Wiki but looks like none exsist.

ijzer666
21st December 2006, 04:02 PM
It would be great, but also very unlikely. As far is i know gpl'd java won't be available untill march 2007. And apart from that replacing libgcj would probably obsolete a lot of hard work, which would make it very though for the Fedora team to make that decision. Making all the necessary changes to Eclipse etc wouldn't be trivial either.

Jman
23rd December 2006, 10:55 PM
As I understand it, not a lot can be done until the entire JRE is open sourced, which as mentioned is first quarter 2007.

Eclipse isn't so bad, I've changed to a Sun JRE with little work, because Eclipse essentially contains a compiler already.

The merger (at least code sharing) of OpenJDK and classpath + gcj stuff remains a possibility.

On occasion Fedora Java developers reveal things on their blogs, many of which are on Planet Classpath. (http://planet.classpath.org/)