PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling fedora?

smilesalot
21st December 2006, 06:00 AM
ok so i like the program and all but i would like to use a different operating system how do i uninstall it? thank you for your help

wmc1369
21st December 2006, 06:44 AM
you don't "uninstall" an operating system. you'd have to boot from some other media (disc with os you now want) and use it's partition manager to reformat the drive space that Fedora is on.

winblowz
21st December 2006, 08:21 AM
smiles, why do you want to uninstall?

if you are a MS win user just test driving another OS & not too comfortable yet using linux i gotta say just keep it on your comp as alternative. it took me about 6 years to fully commit to linux. i always had excuses why i needed MS windows & went back. it's like smoking, always a reason why you need it but all the while you know it's bad for you until you realize you can do just fine without it!

only exception is work related apps. so i keep a small 4gb MSXP partition on one of my laptops for those rare occasions I need MS win. but it's been a month or two since i last need to boot into it & IFEEL GOOD!

if you want to try linux & having some difficulties post here with questions & you will find i think you can get most problems resolved. it's so good to be free of that badass Redmond crap!

hope to see you around!

Jongi
21st December 2006, 08:55 AM
This thread made me smile.

Yeah you would boot up using the install disc of the OS you want. You would then choose to format the partition that fedora is on.

smilesalot
22nd December 2006, 03:28 AM
i'm sorry but i'm kinda new to the whole computer thing as in installing and working with them and stuff

but.... i set my bios to boot from the cdrom it boots up i put the xp driver disk in and then it pops up and says press any key to boot from cd-rom so i hit a key and then the screen just got black any ideas?

thanks for your help

bob
22nd December 2006, 03:43 AM
Easiest way is to just nuke the whole drive with dban: http://dban.sourceforge.net/ - Once completely cleaned, you can install XP or whatever.

AlexThomson_NZ
22nd December 2006, 04:16 AM
I found the best way is..

rm -frd /

smilesalot
22nd December 2006, 07:03 AM
thanks for the help guys : )

tux21
22nd December 2006, 09:18 AM
is this what fedora core 6 is?
blot on linux desktop

each release gets worse

and if you wanna shut me up and don't listen to your faults
you can do that.

worst linux ever.

bob
22nd December 2006, 11:52 AM
Tux21, as I've included in a PM to you, this type of post is unacceptable. If you have a problem with FC and want to solve it, that's what the Forum is for. If you want to flame and troll, please try another distro.