PDA

View Full Version : frustrated again

jfmiii
21st December 2006, 03:54 AM
I suppose that this has been aired before, But I don't understand why software canot be made to load and run without jumping through many hoops. Why do we have to go hunting Lib packages , some nearly impossible to find or not correct for FCxx that you are running.
I'm not a linux pro or anything close to but I have tryed many versions of linux and all have the same problem. I'm also no programmer but it seems to me that anyone that writes a program and that program needs something extra to run (dependancies) then they should supply the program a place to get these items with little to no user intervension. Untill these things are addressed Linux will never become a real threat to any other OS. (comments anyone ??)

wdgiles
21st December 2006, 04:17 AM
Most software I've installed has been a simple three word command: yum install [softwarepackage]. I've been running Fedora since Core 1 and I can count on one hand the number of times I've manually compiled any software. Is there a particular package you're having troubles with?

jfmiii
21st December 2006, 04:32 AM
You name it Java, videolan , limewire, and the list goes on....

ilbh
21st December 2006, 06:28 AM
i agree with you when you say that searching for dependency is a pain in the ***! and because of it many potential linux users that could be coming from windows to linux becomes frustrated and quits trying linux.

BUT nowadays every linux distro comes with a installer package software which search for dependencies and install it for you automagically. however, that same software sometimes cant find the dependency...

BUT it is very easy to solve dependency problems and people from linux communities are very helpfull, you can count on them for any problem you get, you do just need to post in many of the forums related to it.

AND documentation for any kind of installation you will need to do is quite easy to find about. All that you said before:
Java, videolan , limewire, and the list goes on....
have a lot of information "findable" with google or searching on forums.

AND when you get used to linux, you will solve any kind of problem easily.

Please, dont quit linux. Post one thread for any problem you have and i bet that if you get willpower enough, youll solve them all with the help of the people here.

at last, you can count on me. im also a noob, but every thing i can do to prevent people from using windows...

windows is great for people whom doesnt cares about configuring it at all.
in linux systems, you can configure anything with text files. it is much more convenient to use linux like a 'normal' user, ( i mean not root ). to use windows like a normal user its painfull since youll need to log in as root for any configuration changes and software installation, etc.

in one hand you have dependency issues, and some softwares can not run on linux, but in other hand you dont have to reboot your OS for nothing on linux! with windows you must reboot for any installation. you dont have to worry about viruses like you worry with windows on linux. you can use a non root account allowing you to do root stuff without login out or rebooting on linux!

the great problem about linux is that big companies like adobe doesnt make their software for linux! and there is no directx for linux, which makes game-lovers to avoid linux...
but there is directx 8 for wine, but wine is still on the beginning. i hope it will be possible to play any kind of game on linux in a couple of years.

joe.pelayo
21st December 2006, 07:22 AM
I think that 'issue' of software dependencies is because Linux is an optimized system and that is precisely a technique to 'reuse' existing things and avoid having 'extra files' or 'reinventing the wheel'. Remember the lots of DLLs installed by the programs in the early versions of Windows?

jfmiii
22nd December 2006, 12:19 AM
Hello ilbh,
Thanks for the positive post but I use Windoze at work caus I must, I and My family of 4 all use a MAC at home, Acutually 2 PPC, and 2 Intel versions and a stray Intel box that I keep to play with. My point iwas that the software should contain everything it needs to run if the OS dosn't allready have what it needs For my Mac's I click on the software and as the add say's "IT JUST WORKS" . This is what I was getting at point and click (ease of use). I have been trying forever to get Wine to work with my laptop but most of my diagnostic softare I use wont run. The few pieces that did stoped working when I upgraded to FC6. God I would almost cut off my left arm just to get Windoze XP Pro off my laptop. As you pointed out the Malware and Viruses Keep My anti-vi and anti spy programs sucking up valuble realestate.
I just wish sometimes things would not make you want to pull your hair out. This was more of a vent than any specific problem I just get tired sometimes and so aggrivated ( usually with MS products). But I really hope that Linux's future will enrich us all......... eventualy..........

Craig Pemberton
22nd December 2006, 12:21 AM
yum whatprovides DEPENDENCY

stanjam
22nd December 2006, 12:32 AM
The solution for you may be Ubuntu 6.10. Someone has made some nice programs for Ubuntu called Easyubuntu, Automatix2 and Automatix-bleeder. Basically these programs install may of the basic programs for you automatically, like java, flash, even Beryl! Might want to try that.

Craig Pemberton
22nd December 2006, 12:40 AM
The following should do the same for Fedora:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=140753
yum install beryl

bob
22nd December 2006, 12:42 AM
Have you tried: http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog ? There's also fedorafriend, http://www.fedorafriend.org/ Edit: As to Ubuntu - MintLinux is a fork of Ubuntu that has most of those items already installed.

AlexThomson_NZ
22nd December 2006, 01:06 AM
You name it Java, videolan , limewire, and the list goes on....

Yeah Java is a bit of a prick to install (I still have issues, and I am a oldskool linux guy and a Java dev by trade!). Limewire is a snap I think once Java is installed. On the positive side, Java is being GPLed, so will likely be integrated in all distro's fairly shortly.

Anyway, I think this aspect of Linux (package management/installation) is slowing getting better (RPM is getting some much needed TLC shortly), and hopefully (eventually) will become somewhat standardised. Don't give up hope!

Sorry to OT, but bob- I am curious about UbuntuMint- does it really have Sun's Java pre-installed? Isn't that a GPL violation? (I can't find information about included packages from their website)

jfmiii
22nd December 2006, 01:20 AM
It is funny how some people try to push you off to another distro Most of witch I have already tried and formated over due to childish interface or other short sightedness or lack of the right polish/ refinement. I use this distro because I like it even with its small imperfection ( some of witch i find interesting ). So to the other Distro's I can say been there done that was not happy came back home. Speaking of home Christmas is just around the corner and FC will still be on my spare Intel box. I would like to wish all of you a Happy holiday season (politicly correct) jfmiii and family to you and yours............

bob
22nd December 2006, 01:23 AM
Yes, Sun Java is pre-installed as is Flash 9, Realplayer 10 and a lot of multimedia codecs. Here's their blurb about it: http://lt.k1011.nutime.de/about.html You can get more information from the release notes, starting from Barbara. I'll leave the GPL violation status to those that fight those fights. But, for as long as Mint lasts, it's a well-done distro.

giulix
22nd December 2006, 01:24 AM
I suppose that this has been aired before, But I don't understand why software canot be made to load and run without jumping through many hoops. Why do we have to go hunting Lib packages , some nearly impossible to find or not correct for FCxx that you are running.
I'm not a linux pro or anything close to but I have tryed many versions of linux and all have the same problem. I'm also no programmer but it seems to me that anyone that writes a program and that program needs something extra to run (dependancies) then they should supply the program a place to get these items with little to no user intervension. Untill these things are addressed Linux will never become a real threat to any other OS. (comments anyone ??)

Yes. Free Software as GNU/Linux has excellent support for everything that is necessary for your computer to work. For specialized work, say watch a DVD, edit music or movies or play games, you can either a) buy the software from reputable companies that provide support; b) download and use free (as in beer and in freedom) alternatives which are, if not better, often of the same quality, but do not come with support. If I wrote a nice and useful program to rip DVDs in my free time, for instance, and decided to make it public for the benefit of the masses, do you really expect me to quit my job and live on unemployment benefit for the sake of those like you who pretend that I build packages for every single Linux distribution out there and maintain it ? That is what the community is for. And the community is you. Use some of your free time to build a package for your preferred distro and make it public. If you don't have the knowledge, learn.

bob
22nd December 2006, 01:29 AM
Jfmiii, first of all, a very Merry Christmas to you too! And, while we at FedoraForum believe in FC and want to provide support for it, we also understand that not every person will find it right for their use and will occasionally suggest other distros that might also be interesting. It's all Linux, after all, and there's no limit to the number of distros that you can use and/or try. In another thread, you might notice that Ewdi, who is the Forum's founder uses Gentoo primarily. I love FC but also boot Mint, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Mandriva 2007 and CentOS. Each has their attractions and their problems and each provides a learning experience.

pete_1967
22nd December 2006, 02:01 AM
Yes. Free Software as GNU/Linux has excellent support for everything that is necessary for your computer to work. For specialized work, say watch a DVD, edit music or movies or play games, you can either a) buy the software from reputable companies that provide support; b) download and use free (as in beer and in freedom) alternatives which are, if not better, often of the same quality, but do not come with support. If I wrote a nice and useful program to rip DVDs in my free time, for instance, and decided to make it public for the benefit of the masses, do you really expect me to quit my job and live on unemployment benefit for the sake of those like you who pretend that I build packages for every single Linux distribution out there and maintain it ? That is what the community is for. And the community is you. Use some of your free time to build a package for your preferred distro and make it public. If you don't have the knowledge, learn.

Hear hear!