PDA

View Full Version : Installing xdvdshrink

mlager
20th December 2006, 02:39 PM
Hello all of you,

as you might have gathered from the title I'm trying to install xdvdshrink. Since I'm posting here it's obviously not going as planned. First of all I'm running on FC6, fully updated.
I downloaded the 'dvdshrink-2.6.1-8mdk.noarch.rpm' from the website and tried to install.
It returned with some dependecy problems, most I could solve.

I have 3 things remaining. First:
What the hell is perl-base and perl-gtk?
I got perl-gtk2 installed, but it still asks for it, and I can't find perl-base anywhere.

Secondly:
How on Earth do you compile dvdbackup succesfully?
I downloaded the source, and tried to compile with:

gcc -o dvdbackup -I/usr/include/dvdread -ldvdread dvdbackup.c

it returns the following:

/tmp/cceohRti.o: In function `DVDGetFileSet':
dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x3408): undefined reference to `UDFFindFile'
dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x346b): undefined reference to `UDFFindFile'
dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x34fa): undefined reference to `UDFFindFile'
dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x366b): undefined reference to `UDFFindFile'
dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x3720): undefined reference to `UDFFindFile'
/tmp/cceohRti.o:dvdbackup.c:(.text+0x37f5): more undefined references to `UDFFindFile' follow
collect2: ld gaf exit-status 1 terug

Which seems to be an improvement to what it said when you try the command specified in the install note, but it's still not quite there.
Can anyone help me out here? I'll make sure Santa gets to know how nice you all are.

Thanks,

Mark

wshawn
20th December 2006, 03:39 PM
I downloaded the 'dvdshrink-2.6.1-8mdk.noarch.rpm' from the website and tried to install.

This is a Mandrake RPM. go with the source once you get the dependcies worked out.

I have 3 things remaining. First:
What the hell is perl-base and perl-gtk?
I got perl-gtk2 installed, but it still asks for it, and I can't find perl-base anywhere.

You will probably have to use the
cpan install perl-base perl-gtk

command

The issue I have had with playing with the dvd ripper software is that the depency is actually on the system, but a soft link is required for it to find it.

ln -s

After screwing around with a lot of this I finally landed with k9copy. Much easier to install. You jest have to install the dependencies he has listed on the download page (many of which ar on livna)

LocutusOfBorg
20th December 2006, 05:43 PM
As for dvdbackup, it has known problems with recent version of libdvdread (> 0.9.3), so either you compile it statically against an older version of the library or you apply a patch (google for it).
I remember that giulix posted a static binary somewhere in this forum.
Anyway, vobcopy works fine and does the same as dvdbackup and - as wshawn suggested - k9copy is a wiser choice.