PDA

View Full Version : Blank video output in VLC

kamaln
20th December 2006, 11:08 AM
Hello Friends:

I recently installed Fedora Core 6 on my IBM T42 having an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500.
FYI I have enabled Desktop effects (though that should not make any difference (for my problem) as X server is already enabled with AIGLX and Composite turned ON by default, as enabling desktop effects did not require me to restart the X server).
I am using the open-source driver (radeon, anyhow the proprietary fglrx drivers dont support 7500) and the desktop effects work flawlessly.

I installed VLC (0.8.5) from livna repository. The problem is when I play a video I just get blank video output. Actually it plays video as when I change modes from normal to full-screen and back, I see glimpse of video. Sometimes it shows the video but when I click on anywhere in the video output it goes blank, again changing modes shows me video for fraction of second or so.

Can anybody provide me a hint what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
- Kamal N

sideways
20th December 2006, 11:46 AM
can you play the video in xine or mplayer?

do you get any audio?

do you know what video codec is used for the video?
(in vlc, View->Stream & Media info->Advanced Information)

in mplayer & xine you need to use an opengl driver with radeon cards since xv doesn't work
(type 'xvinfo', do you see any adapters?)

kamaln
20th December 2006, 12:19 PM
can you play the video in xine or mplayer?

do you get any audio?

do you know what video codec is used for the video?
(in vlc, View->Stream & Media info->Advanced Information)

in mplayer & xine you need to use an opengl driver with radeon cards since xv doesn't work
(type 'xvinfo', do you see any adapters?)

Thanks for your reply. I do get audio and it plays the video as well as I mentioned that when I change mode (switches to full-screen and back) I see video for fraction of second. So definetly VLC is playing video and there is no problem related to codec.
I had VLC 0.8.6 playing videos flawlessly in opensuse 10.2 (same laptop and same radeon opensource driver).

I am not using mplayer or xine as I find vlc as the best option with no conflicts with other parts of the system.

Regards,
- Kamal N

sideways
20th December 2006, 12:43 PM
have you selected 'overlay video output' in Preferences->Video

try selecting/deselecting

can you play any video files or is it just this specific one?

kamaln
20th December 2006, 01:14 PM
I don't have my laptop with me currently, I'll try this and will post here.

Thanks.

axisaudio
21st December 2006, 04:45 PM
Hey kamaln, I have the same problem with vlc and the desktop effects in fedora core 6, SUSE, and ubuntu. Vlc does not play well with beryl or compiz. If you need to play various files such as .mkv there is a plugin you can install, so that mplayer can play it http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html Scroll down to get fedora rpm. Mplayer is the only player that works really well with compiz and beryl for videos. I honestly do not know what's up with the rest. Hope that helps

kamaln
22nd December 2006, 09:47 AM
The problem is with the XVideo (Xorg XV extension) as when I use the X11 Video Output from VLC it plays the video but is not accelerated.

Anyways, I'll try using the MPlayer and thanks for your reply.
I normally prefer VLC as it works most of the time (mainly the DVD playback) and is self contained and does not mess up with rest of the system.

Thanks,
- Kamal N