PDA

View Full Version : yet another flash issue

jsorhaug
19th December 2006, 10:42 PM
i have read all posts and FAQs on installing macromedia/adobe flash player in my firefox, but still - after installing over and over again - when I try to access any site showing video stream the web browser shows the puzzlebrick icon and the click-here-to-add-plugin-text.

I have two question for you clever guys:

1. What causes the problem?
2. How can I resolve this issue?

jsorhaug
19th December 2006, 11:10 PM
OK - I found out that disabling SELinux made the add-on work.

However - when I try to access videostream, firefox tries to launch the video by Totem, but just stops and tells me that "No URI handler implemented for "mmsh"."

Aaargh. I have tried to completely uninstall totem, as I find it unuseable. I have installed RealPlayer10 - which should work with firefox, but still I have the same problem.

Anybody?

bob
19th December 2006, 11:14 PM
Well, chances are that it's not linked to your plugins folder. So, in your address bar of your browser, type "about:plugins" and see if it's there. If not, you should do a symlink from where it is to where you want it. You didn't mention whether you've got the standard Firefox installed or perhaps 2.0 or 3.0. If it's your 'standard' firefox install, you've probably got a /usr/lib/firefox(version)/plugins to link to.

So, if you've installed flash, it's ended up in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins . You can link the necessary files like so:

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplayer.xpt /usr/lib/firefox(version number)/plugins/flashplayer.xpt and
ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox(yup, still got to mention version)/plugins/libflashplayer.so

Of course, if you've put firefox elsewhere, change the /usr/lib to /home/username or wherever else it is.

jsorhaug
19th December 2006, 11:22 PM
thx alot.

but: how can I completely remove the totem plugin and use realplayer instead?

jsorhaug
19th December 2006, 11:33 PM
OK- I found out how to remove the totem plugin - but how do I link the Realplayer plugin so that it is installed in firefox (1.5.0.8)?

bob
19th December 2006, 11:34 PM
You got your solution before I was done typing! Good for you. As far as totem, have you removed it with yum or do you want it for some other reason? 'yum remove totem' would be the simplest way.

Dies
19th December 2006, 11:39 PM
Real Player should set itself up for the streams it can play the first time you run it.
I use mplayer to play most mms streams, if you want to use that let me know and I'll post how to get Firefox working with it.

jsorhaug
21st December 2006, 12:43 PM
Realplayer has not set itself up for the streams. When I access about : plugins in Mozilla Firefox 2.0 it is not listet there...

Can anybody help me set up RealPlayer as a Firefox plugin for playing audio, videostream etc.?

bob
21st December 2006, 12:47 PM
See my previous post #3. Substitute the real player plugin for the flash plugin and symlink from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to where you've put FF 2.0 /plugins.

jsorhaug
21st December 2006, 01:09 PM
still struggling.. all i manage to link is nphelix.so, all the other files blink in red when listing them in terminal...

how can I find out what plugin files that are controlling the videostream? could I uninstall RealPlayer and then install it again to resolve my problem? How, then, can I uninstall RealPlayer?

I have been using Windows for all my life and struggle a little bit in the absence of the selfextracting and selfinstalling features in Linux...

jsorhaug
21st December 2006, 01:19 PM
Real Player should set itself up for the streams it can play the first time you run it.
I use mplayer to play most mms streams, if you want to use that let me know and I'll post how to get Firefox working with it.
When I try to install the mplayer-plugin I get the following message:

checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

What's wrong?

bob
21st December 2006, 01:25 PM
The red blinking ones are bad links. Remove those and try again. It might help if you browse graphically to see what you're linking. If you open your Home folder and then choose 'File' and 'Open Parent' you will start to go up the chain to Root. From there, open Usr , then Lib, then Mozilla and finally Plugins. That's where the plugin is.

So, now what the 'ln -s' is saying is that you're linking that file in that folder to the FF2.0 plugins folder. I don't have realplayer installed, but let's call the plugin "realplayer.so" for the purpose. You will have to substitute the actual name. And, let's say you have FF2.0 installed in /usr/lib - again, you'll have to substitute the actual path. How I'd link it would be:

ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/realplayer.so /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/realplayer.so

That's telling the computer that when you open Firefox 2.0, it will automatically look back at the mozilla plugins folder and use realplayer.

If you're still having problems, please post the actual plugin name and the paths involved and we'll code it for you.

leigh123linux
21st December 2006, 01:38 PM
When I try to install the mplayer-plugin I get the following message:

checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

What's wrong?

try installing gcc and gcc-c++

yum -y install gcc gcc-c++

leigh123linux
21st December 2006, 01:40 PM
As for plugins try mozplugger and mplayerplug-in

jsorhaug
21st December 2006, 03:32 PM
I'm starting a new tread on mplayer issue, closing this one