PDA

View Full Version : Volume Group management question

fromans4
19th December 2006, 12:45 AM
I upgraded to FC6 two days ago and I have a question concerning volume groups. I was running FC4 using LVM and had my / and swap and boot mount points on one volume group (VolGroup00) that existed entirely on one 160GB SATA Hard drive. I also had another volume group (VolGroup01) with a single mount point called video. This volume group spanned three 400GB SATA drives. I installed a new 80GB IDE drive and installed FC6 to this drive as a new install making sure during the installation that the other drives were not erased or used for the installation of FC6. Now that I have installed FC6 I would like to gain access to Volume Group 01 and mount as /Video again. I can see the physical and logical information in the LVM and I have tried to mount this Volume Group using both the LVM and manually editing the FSTAB file. Niether seems to work. I get errors upon reboot saying failed to mount ?????. I am not at home with the system or I would give you the exact syntax.

Is there something I need to do to let FC6 know haw to interact with this volume group? Do I need to prepare the drives using some LVM command I am not aware of?

When I get home I will manually try to mount the volume group and I will post the resulting error code if needed. I could really use some help with this. I have 1.4TB of Video data on these drives. I would sure hate to lose it.

I posted my plans to do this upgrade to FC6 as a clean install on a new drive and then get access back to the video data residing on a seperate volume group before I actually did this upgrade. Nobody seemed to think there would be any problem. So far it looks like the volume group and the associated data are still intact, I just need to figure out how to get access to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

pete_1967
19th December 2006, 02:41 AM
Have you had a look at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html ?

homey
19th December 2006, 05:16 AM
What does your fstab entry look like?
Did you remember to create a folder to mount it to?
What is the output of the command: lvdisplay

fromans4
19th December 2006, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the reminder to look at the LVM documentation again. That is the exact document I used to prepare for the upgrade. I had simply overlooked one of the last steps. All I needed to do was Activate the volume group and I was able to mount it without problems.

Thanks for the help,
Brent