PDA

View Full Version : FC kernel vs Vanilla kernel

v.v.b.
15th December 2006, 02:37 PM
Docs about Fedora kernel say, that FC kernel is Vanilla kernel + N patches, that increase security.
- What are exactly these pathes are?
- Is number N of these pathes constantly increase OR is number N of these pathes constantly decrease and some day in FC will be Vanilla kernel?
- Can I download these pathes by myself, apply them to Vanilla kernel, compile it and get EXACTLY the same kernel as if I've download it from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/repodata/ ?

Seve
15th December 2006, 06:56 PM
Hello:
If you want to have a look at all the patches [without a lot of deail] then one of the easiest way is to rpm -q --changelog kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 > /home/username/kernelinfo
then open up the text file kernelinfo and have a read.
If you want more details on what the patches are then you can download and install the kernel source rpm and have a look at each and everyone of them.

- Can I download these pathes by myself, apply them to Vanilla kernel, compile it and get EXACTLY the same kernel as if I've download it from
Yes, if you really want to as when you install the kernel source rpm you will see the base / vanilla kernel present.

Seve