PDA

View Full Version : Loss of desktop every time I reboot

CrazyMerlin
12th December 2006, 08:03 AM
Hey people!

I lost my desktop and ended up with TWM but don't know why. I looked here and found an answer that worked for me, but after reinstalling Gnome I noticed that a lot of my menu options were gone, some applications gone, and I could not change any parts of the desktop. No desktop effects access so stuck with it. Clicking on Desktop Background does nothing.

I rebooted hoping that would fix the issue and I am back to TWM again.

I try switchdesk but it says gnome is not installed. I have installed it twice already so there is no way it is not installed. Maybe it has become lost but not uninstalled.

There are 2 things that I notice.

I have an ntfs partition mounted using ntfs-3g. When I power down, the system tries to unmount but is unsuccessful as it keeps saying permission denied. It tries to unmount 3 times before giving up.
The second thing I notice is that on startup I get a fatal error (even though the system continues to boot) saying acpi_cpufreq could not be loaded, or similar text.

I was going to reinstall gnome again now, but it is almost midnight and I'm only going to have to do it again in the morning so what is the point.

I have used windows since it's very first incarnation and used DOS before that. I do like linux, but I really have to say that it is still just an experiment. For 5 days now I have been trying to install programs that fail. The ones that do not fail rarely run because of some missing driver. I went through 4 media players before one would work, and that was the simplest one.
I'm not *****ing about linuux/fedora, it has come a long way (my first adventure into linux was Suse, when that first came out). It is just that it is so hard to get it all up and running unless you really know what you are doing. And it is for that reason alone that linux will never compete with windows.
Can you seriously imagine someone new to computing installing and setting up FC? I doubt it.

Anyway enough ranting. If anyone can help I would be most appreciative. Also, if anyone knows what is causing the desktop to keep 'uninstalling' please let me know so I can fix it. If I don't get it done by the end of this week I will remove linux and go back to windows.

And for anyone about to complain about windows.....I ran a copy of win95 on a system for 5 years without once having to reinstall it, and I often left the PC one for up to a week at a time. ;)

//erlin!