PDA

View Full Version : key rings...too many

bsoderror
21st February 2004, 10:14 PM
KDE 3144 and Fedora 2174

Bottom right of screen on kicker to the left of my clock I have the RedHat notification icon and to the left of it I have four (4) yes that's right four key rings. I'm not real sure how I got them all there. If I get rid of them the space they used is still there. I'd like to either get down to one and have the space shrink or none and still have the space shrink...ok while I was typing they left. ;o) The space is still large enough to hold them again. Any ideas on where I goofed up? And how to not get so many next time.

Thanx

ofeeley
21st February 2004, 10:20 PM
IIRC you can right click on the item in the panel along the bottom (IIRC that's called the "Kicker" in KDE?). Then a context-menu pops up and you can select "Remove" from that menu.

Beware: I don't use KDE regularly so this is strictly from a memory of many months ago.

Let me know if this helps.

bsoderror
21st February 2004, 10:24 PM
Yep it's the "panel" and I do have it on the bottom.

I thought of that also but right clicking doesn't bring up the context menu. It'll bring one up for Gaim and the notifier but not the keys. They return when I go into root mode and leave a couple minutes later when my time has run out as root I guess but still leave the gaping space. Not a big thing really but irksome. ThanYou ofeeley for the help

:confused:

ofeeley
21st February 2004, 10:35 PM
and realize that you know this already. Sorry.
Have you tried right-click and move the remaining icon and seeing if that frees up the space?

bsoderror
21st February 2004, 10:57 PM
The keys were already gone but the space was still there. I got rid of the RH ntoification icon as well as the quick browser, klipper and Gaim. Lo and behold it's all closed up now. Right now I'm gonna get the keys back by editing some file as root using the quick browser that I have back on the panel, actually I have all I had before minus the keys. Hangon and I'll type what happens: Geez, now I can't get any keys at all to come up. I'll get back to you when there's an "incident". At least I got rid of the space for now.
I'm :D

mhelios
22nd February 2004, 04:57 AM
bsoderror, These keys are notifying you that you are currently authorised to run GUI menu programs as root. Every time you select a program from the menu that requires root privileges, consolehlper pops up a box for you to enter the root password. Then, you get the little key in the taskbar to remind you you still hold temporary authorisation to running programs as root. I believe the authorisation lasts for ~5 mins but if you want to cancel the authorisation earlier, just double click the key and select "Forget Authorisation". If there's still a space, right-click the RHN notification icon and select move and move it right to fill the space.