PDA

View Full Version : fedora freezing if left on.

ts8lemonade
8th December 2006, 08:01 PM
Ok, so basically linux is just freezing if i leave it unattended for too long. Like, it runs great, doesnt freeze when im using it or even when i leave for an hour, but if i leave for a few hours or overnight and i come back it will just be frozen. I don't know if it's necessarily linux though, ive had this problem with suse and ubuntu as well as fedora core 6 (i386, yes i did make sure to get the i686 kernel). Nothing happens when i move my mouse around and my keyboard just doesnt accept any input, my keyboard's num lock light wont even light up when i hit num lock and my monitor is just a black screen. At first i thought it may have just been x, but last night i left it on in runlevel 3 (init 3) and the same thing happened.

I really don't think it's my pc, cause i can run windows xp for days at a time without having it freeze up or just go to a black screen. ive tried resetting x with ctrl + alt + backspace and nothing seems to work.

I know that this isn't a lot of info to work with, but if there's any config files i can look at or anything like that, id be happy to post them for a chance at working around this problem. like i said its a problem ive had with any linux distro ive tried, and i know it cant just be linux in general cause its supposed to be so stable, and my buddy who uses gentoo can leave his pc on for months without needing a reboot.

thanks guys i appreciate it.

leigh123linux
8th December 2006, 08:28 PM
Try running memtest overnight from a livecd, sounds like a memory issue

thedude
8th December 2006, 08:44 PM
is it freezing up while in the screensaver? one of my fc6 boxes with an older matrox 32mb video card will freeze up with certain screensavers, so I had to uncheck most of the GL screensavers....

Dan
8th December 2006, 10:20 PM
Try running memtest overnight from a livecd, sounds like a memory issue ....Bingo!

ts8lemonade
9th December 2006, 09:00 PM
Well I did use an ubuntu livecd to run memtest86. I let it run overnight, and when I came back, after 9 and a half hours it was still going...It passed 20 tests, and i didn't know how much longer it had to go so I just stopped it. my friend said it might be related to something in power management settings. so i went in there and turned off sleep mode, maybe that will help i dunno.

edit: im usinig a usb keyboard and mouse, i dont know if that would have anything to do with anything. but it pretty much just stops accepting input from my devices. if i turn off my monitor, it will just come back to a black screen. unplug/replug my mouse or keyboard and they won't come back on until i rebooted. so it's like it just stops recognizing things. below is my x config file. any help editting this would be appreciated, i know someone else noted i did not have a monitor section below, but i wasnt sure what to put exactly to add one. this is the montor that i currently have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116353

# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

toracat
10th December 2006, 03:57 PM
You did mention that the problem occurs without running X. So, it cannot be X-related, then. Do you see anything in /var/log/messages that might give you a clue?

ts8lemonade
11th December 2006, 02:51 AM
Basically what I've done is gone into System -> Preferences and changed my power management so that "Put this display to sleep" is set to never. Now everytime I go to sleep or go to work I just turn off my monitor and i haven't had any freezing issues since. weird.

Micha_Silver
22nd December 2006, 10:40 AM
Ok, so basically linux is just freezing if i leave it unattended for too long.
I've been trying to work out a similar problem for a few weeks now and it has me at wits end. What I see is the machine becomes unresponsive after about 6-8 hours of running regardless if I'm using it or it's been idle. THe same machine had been running FC3 for quite a while (and FC1 before that) with no issues. Now after wiping and installing FC6 I can't keep it working for longer than about 8 hours. At the end of that time period it becomes VERY sluggish. So some commands will actually work but only after 5 minutes or more. I can ssh into the machine but again only after waiting 5-10 minutes for the prompt to return. I've checked and the same unresponsiveness occurs in runlevel 3 AND runlevel 1! Once it gets into this state, one command that will never return it 'top'. I can type 'ps aux' and after several minutes get a normal looking reply. I can run vmstat or iostat, and again, results (after some minutes) look normal.

So far I've run memtest for a long time with no prolblems. I also booted with 2 live CDs (knoppix and ubuntu) and both kept running over night with no problems. So I tend to think it's not a hardware issue. I also tried disabling apm in the bios, and switching acpi to S1 state only (in the bios) but the prob continued.

If anyone has any more input on this behavior, I'd really appreciate hearing.

Regards,
Micha

toracat
22nd December 2006, 01:58 PM
Do you see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure? How about netstat and free?

Micha_Silver
22nd December 2006, 03:21 PM
Do you see anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/secure? How about netstat and free?
No, nothing related to the lockups that I can see in any log files.
free works (again after several minutes) and the result looks quite normal.
I didn't try netstat. What do you think I should look for here?

Cheers,
Micha

toracat
22nd December 2006, 04:14 PM
Some network connection that is not expected. How about dmesg?

Micha_Silver
24th December 2006, 03:21 PM
Some network connection that is not expected. How about dmesg?
OK, over the weekend I did this:
I set up a cron job to dump 'uptime' and the output from 'netstat -ntup' every two minutes into a log file.
I can't see anything unusual in the netstat output right up to the time of the last freeze.
In addtion I tried unplugging the eth cable althogether to rule out the possibility that some network noise was causing the problems. The first time, the computer kept running for about 15 hours- I thought I might have zeroed in on something. But the second attempt -with no ethernet cable - lasted only about 1 hour :-( till it frooze.
So I'm back to square one.

By the way, there's another parallel thread going on this same topic:
http://forum.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=139648

Cheers,
Micha

Dan
24th December 2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Micha,

See Post number 37 in that other thread. Just a SWAG, but the symptoms looked really familiar.

Dan

Micha_Silver
24th December 2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Micha,

See Post number 37 in that other thread. Just a SWAG, but the symptoms looked really familiar.

Dan

Do you mean the suggestion to do a BIOS update? Some posters mentioned that it didn't help.
BTW, I'm trying with ntpd stopped, as per your previos idea. I'll let you know.

Dan
24th December 2006, 07:11 PM
No. I was referring to the time server issue. :)

Micha_Silver
25th December 2006, 01:01 PM
BTW, I'm trying with ntpd stopped, as per your previos idea. I'll let you know.

I let the computer run overnight with ntpd service stopped. Next morning nothing but red herrings, and a locked up machine ...
So, back to the drawing board. I'm getting close to wiping the machine and installing Ubuntu instead.