PDA

View Full Version : Solution: ATI proprietary driver recovery

Mr_Grieves
29th November 2006, 10:39 PM
Hi,

This might save someone like me a lot of time, perhaps 3-4 days of time.

If you are running Fedora Core 6 with the open source ATI driver (radeon/mesa/rX00) that FC6 comes with, and happens to install the proprietary drivers that ATI or some other guys has compiled (fglrx), and then want to go back to the open source drivers.. then it's not enough to uninstall the RPM packages you just installed (rpm -e fglrx-packages).

You also need to re-name the open source version of libGL.so.1.2 in /usr/lib that ATI's installations program renamed to FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2 and re-link /usr/lib/libGL.so to /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2!

Eg:
#mv /usr/lib/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2
#rm /usr/lib/libGL.so
#ln -s /usr/lib/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib/libGL.so

After this, reboot.

In my case I needed the open source drivers to get AIGLX working with compiz/beryl, but I didn't know that the proprietary ATI drivers (at this moment) didn't support AIGLX.

There.. now I can sleep a bit better.

container
3rd December 2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for this info. I was in the same situation, and I had refused to believe I really needed to remove the fglrx rpms.
But I now did so, and switched to 'radeon' by using system-config-display after a boot. Works quite well, performance is quite ok, and yeah, I get to run desktop effects.

However, I used ati-generated rpms to install fglrx, so no renaming ever took place. So, I didn't have to touch any .so files. Probably the uninstallation of my rpms did enough. It's funny that this is probably the only thread of Fedoraforum that deals with this issue.