PDA

View Full Version : Positive Fedora Core 6 feedback

glennzo
29th November 2006, 11:46 AM
As I started reading the new messages on this forum this morning I was thinking that I don't see many posts telling us how GOOD Fedora Core 6 is. All I ever see is posts about how this doesn't work or that doesn't work. That's to be expected, I know, because the main purpose of this web forum is helping our fellow Fedora users. How about some positive feedback? I installed FC6 just about the minute it was available, and while the first few weeks were not without their moments, I worked through them, not without the help of FedoraForum members. I now have a very stable running and very usable Fedora Core 6 system. How about some positive feedback? Just thought it would be nice for a change. Here's mine.

With Fedora Core 6 I'm able to:
Surf the web with Firefox, Seamonkey and Opera
Get my e-mail with Thunderbird
Listen to streaming audio with StreamTuner and RhythmBox
Play my MP3's with RhythmBox and a host of other music players
Play my music CD's with RhythmBox and a host of other music players
Insert a DVD and watch a movie with Xine, VLC, MPlayer
Plug in my thumb drive and see an icon appear on the desktop
Plug in my compact flash card and see an icon appear on the desktop
Sort through some 4000 photos with Picasa
Play around with Google Earth
Java is working
Flash is working
Steal a song with GTK-Gnutella (Only did it once) :D
Burn a CD
Burn a DVD
Run a spreadsheet
Create a text document
Play a game
Customize my desktop to no end
Desktop Effects are working, Neat stuff!
Mount my VFAT and NTFS partitions
Print to a networked Windows printer (Soon to be an FC6 box)
Get files off of a home Windows server (Soon to be an FC6 server)

The list goes on and on with the point being that I can do anything with this Distro. All in all I'd say that this is the best Fedora Core offering to date, and I've used them all starting with FC1. What about you? Let's hear your story. I challenge you to add to this thread. How great is YOUR Fedora Core 6?

thedude
29th November 2006, 12:28 PM
As I started reading the new messages on this forum this morning I was thinking that I don't see many posts telling us how GOOD Fedora Core 6 is. All I ever see is posts about how this doesn't work or that doesn't work. That's to be expected, I know, because the main purpose of this web forum is helping our fellow Fedora users. How about some positive feedback? What about you?
It took me several attempts to get a good iso (never had much luck with bittorrent files for some reason), but once I got a good one and was able to complete a fresh install, everything is going great. I'm using 2 fc6 boxes, one is the one I'm typing on now (dell gx400-p4 1.4ghz 1gb ram dual 120gb hd's, an old 32 mb matrox 400 video card) This is my pc to switch me over from windows. I'm doing everything you mentioned, plus some and although there were some quirks, I've worked around them with the help of this forum. just got to get used to the Gimp! I use this box to edit my small websites using bluefish and the gimp via nsf mounts.

My other fc6 box (dell gx260 p4 1.7, 512 mg ram, dual 120 gb hd's, an old ati 7500 64mg video card)I use for my mail, web and ftp server, also nfs and samba server. I have a seagate stt681u travan tape drive hooked to it and it works. definitely a couple of quirks setting things up but its good to go and I'm quite happy and impressed (everything works!) I print to a lexmark e232 laser and an epson photo rx600 hooked to my wife's windows box.

I've been using redhat/fedora since I bought a book, RedHat Linux 9 Bible with the redhat 9 cd's in it a couple of years ago. I've tried other distros and either couldn't get them to install or work right or just didn't like them. I like fedora and have gotten very comfortable with it. Thanks for a great distro and a great forum!

glennzo
29th November 2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, thedude! Glad to hear that you are having great success with FC. Thanks for the feedback. I'm just trying to highlight the positive here. Hope others join in and post about their positive experiences with Fedora Core 6 and earlier Fedora distros.

Dan
29th November 2006, 03:37 PM
Positive feedback? Ok.

You've covered the details, so here's the overview.

Here at The Tangled Web, (and The Paper Radio):

Desktop1) FC6
Desktop2) FC6
Laptop1) FC5
Laptop2) FC5/FC6
Laptop3) FC6

That which works, gets used. That which works well... gets used a lot.

Dan

glennzo
29th November 2006, 03:48 PM
'bout says it all TangledWeb. As it stands here in Glennzo land I have 3 FC6 boxes. My main computer, on which I basically never use Windows, the second box is just a toy that I really just play around with, and a third which currently serves as a WinXP print/backup server that has FC6 installed but not yet 'deployed'. When I get that configured it will run FC6 and not Windows. Maybe I should install Fedora on my 12 year old daughter's computer when she's not looking. :D

Zero-Override
29th November 2006, 07:26 PM
Fedora has been my first dirstro ever, first FC3 and then a while nothing but winblows and then i got so freaking fed up with it that i wanted out, then i got the oppertunity to combine linux with school and jumped asap :p

dmode
6th December 2006, 10:25 AM
Hi,

I have an email server running FC4, my laptop running FC6, my desktop PC running FC4, my proxy server running FC5, another firewall and storage server running FC6...

Had TONS of problem with the installation of FC5 and FC6... seems to me that FC4 was more stable (it's just my opinion)... my uptime are 9 months on my mail server... no updates except spamassassin and clamav...

Real headaches to install sound and video cards properly... hopefully our dear developers will work a little bit more on these two things for the next release...

Since I switched to Linux I've had some real pleasure... especially when something you wouldn't think achievable WORKS!!!

Cheers happy new year to the Linux/Open Source/GNU/GPL community!

nick.stumpos
6th December 2006, 11:02 AM
long live linux, you got the source so there is nothing you cant do, well short of writing perfect modules for prorietary harware, and getting all proprietary software to run, but we got our reverse engineers out there, and although im convinced they are sadomasichists. Got a love em for what they do. personally I've seen enough hex in school to last me the rest of my natural life, so three cheers for reverse engineers, and may foss software live long and prosper.
viva la revolution

Coolerthanyou
7th December 2006, 09:10 AM
It has newer versions of software then a lot of other desktop distros. Also in my experience FC6 is the most stable FC version at time of release, and updates haven't broken anything for me so far. But of course, that's just me.

JN4OldSchool
7th December 2006, 10:25 PM
my opinions are widely dispersed throughout this forum, but one thing I am steady on and that is my love for FC. Stepping back, away from myself and just giving the general overview: FC6 is a continuance of a journy started with FC4. I am ever learning more and more and my abilities are growing. Each day is a new adventure and when it isnt, when I start growing bored of FC I delve into a new aspect of it. I learn a new app, tinker with another file...Beryl! Ahhh, Beryl...what can I say? What I first dismissed as eyecandy because I was still tweaking on the basic install has turned into the centerpiece of FC6, and Linux in general. So much new stuff to learn here, the configurability options just blow my mind...Day to day? FC6 does every single thing I need to do and then some. Things I used to rely on Windows for I now do totally in Linux. I am helping out (at least I hope it is "help" sometimes I wonder...)more and more in this forum as my confidence grows and I see the new people come in with the same comments, questions, reservations I once had but now I know them to be so trivial, so easily fixed. I want everyone to take the journy I have had with FC, but I know that just isnt possible. Everyone has different tastes, expectations...But FC is my niche. It is where I belong. It is a quality act!

nick.stumpos
7th December 2006, 10:31 PM
my opinions are widely dispersed throughout this forum, but one thing I am steady on and that is my love for FC. Stepping back, away from myself and just giving the general overview: FC6 is a continuance of a journy started with FC4. I am ever learning more and more and my abilities are growing. Each day is a new adventure and when it isnt, when I start growing bored of FC I delve into a new aspect of it. I learn a new app, tinker with another file...Beryl! Ahhh, Beryl...what can I say? What I first dismissed as eyecandy because I was still tweaking on the basic install has turned into the centerpiece of FC6, and Linux in general. So much new stuff to learn here, the configurability options just blow my mind...Day to day? FC6 does every single thing I need to do and then some. Things I used to rely on Windows for I now do totally in Linux. I am helping out (at least I hope it is "help" sometimes I wonder...)more and more in this forum as my confidence grows and I see the new people come in with the same comments, questions, reservations I once had but now I know them to be so trivial, so easily fixed. I want everyone to take the journy I have had with FC, but I know that just isnt possible. Everyone has different tastes, expectations...But FC is my niche. It is where I belong. It is a quality act!
my words exactly

RupertPupkin
8th December 2006, 07:52 PM
I like FC6. It definitely works better for me than FC5, which caused so many problems for me that I went back to FC4. FC6 lets me run everything I need with no problem, is easy to configure and maintain, and is reliable, stable and fast. Can't ask for anything more than that. I started using Linux from way back in the Red Hat 3.0.3 days (my first distro), and I kept running Red Hat all the way through RH9, then made the move (seamlessly) to Fedora. I'm just used to the Red Hat/Fedora way of doing things, like others here are. I just keep upgrading to the new releases; the only ones I had trouble with were RH6.1 and FC5. FC6 is definitely a good distro, I've been very pleased with it.

dca
8th December 2006, 08:42 PM
I don't think anybody can argue that FC5 & FC6 are powerful distro(s)... Although my experience goes back only as far as FC4. Before that, it was all SuSE which, let's face it, I wasn't really too keen on. As time went on in those days a lot of clients I did work for were migrating from Novell, RHEL, etc to Fedora because it's freely available and it was more cost effective to hire Linux admins versus paying for off-site tech support. Oh, hopefully YaST will finish loading from SuSE10.0 by the time I finish this post...

mvssarma
8th December 2006, 09:41 PM
Hi all
I am with Fedora core6
it is working fine
thanks to LinuxFor You magazine (EFY group) who provided the distro as DVD
in INDIA.

hope to enjoy the OS

marisdembovskis
11th December 2006, 08:06 AM
Im using FC6 for half month.
I like it, what else I can say.
1. Install is perfect, I download .iso on usb hdd, attach and start iinstall from them. Works fast and no need to have a lot of cd's.
2. Easy to use
3. Nice (really better than FC5) and even my new users like it. (one girl in our office is using it for 2 weeks, she is not strong in IT, but still she doesnt say that Linux is difficult. She uses it without problems.
4. It's easy (like always) to attach new soft. Yum, livna helps out.
5. It's naturally easy to swich to Latvian language and use our keyboard settings. Really no problems, using linux. :) And thats what I like in Fedora. U should not be a superman in Linux to run Fedora. :)

thanks for good sofware!

Plossl
20th December 2006, 04:32 AM
Summary at DesktopLinux.com:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9772945025.html

Also, a link to a 44 page PDF of Chapter 5 is available there, too.

AlphOmega
22nd December 2006, 04:34 PM
I bought this book for fedora 5. I assume this will be the same but with some updates for fedora 6. If so its a cracking good book

Plossl
22nd December 2006, 04:53 PM
.. its a cracking good book
The Sams series is very good, so I expect it is.

While I'm here I should say v. 6 is running with no problems on my system, nvidia and all.

xen
22nd December 2006, 07:42 PM
I've always normally used Ubuntu to satisfy my Linux needs. However, certain annoyances and other reasons (needing Windows for university work) led me back to the horrible Windows XP.

Anyway, sooner or later, as I had predicted, Windows once again screwed me over. At the time I was stuck without use of the Internet, and so I went in search of a Linux magazine that would provide me with a usable distro.

The attractive blue cover of Linux Format Magazine (a UK publication) took my fancy, and guess which distrobution was featured on the cover? You guessed it.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed on 2 of my systems, my VAIO laptop and my home built desktop computer, and so far I've been pleased with my experiences. EVERYTHING has worked straight out the box, and often better than in Windows. The only problem I've had is notorious to Linux, and that is the wireless card drivers.

Ubuntu on the other hand would always have various different configuration problems. I'm very pleased with the experiences overall and I have no urge to try out any other distrobution in the near future!

Thanks to the Fedora team!

AlphOmega
22nd December 2006, 08:24 PM
I started using linux as my main os with ubuntu warty. Then upgrading to Hoary. It was a great introduction to linux but i had a play with (out of curiosity) suse, mandrake(as it was then), slackware and fedora.

Fedore seemed to me to be the better overall system. I used a firends laptop last week which ran ubuntu, but even though its still similar (gnome, linux etc) i found it unfamiliar. Im so rooted in the red hat ways of linux and im proud to stay!

tomcat
22nd December 2006, 11:35 PM
Started with Red Hat 7.2, went all the way to FC6. Enough said. :)

RupertPupkin
23rd December 2006, 04:10 AM
Started with Red Hat 3.0.3 (with kernel 1.2.13!), went all the way up to FC6 (though I skipped FC5).

b_martinez
27th December 2006, 05:19 PM
Other than what JN4OldSchool said [which I agree with 100%] ......
I'm using and learning other distros, but when I boot into FC (5 or 6) I think "aaaahhh home at last....."
Bill

dwflo
27th December 2006, 06:09 PM
All I can say is Fedora 6 is the best ever. Have had no problems at all, since updating my video card.
My hats off to the Fedora Crew. :D

wmc1369
27th December 2006, 06:30 PM
I started my learning expierence at rh 7.3 and abandoned windows completely at fc3. I've not looked back. I've toyed a little with other distros but fc "feels like home". My wife never had a computer before we got together so fc is all she's ever used. My 2 y/o son gets "learning time" every day with the educational games. My home theater is entirely run by fc6. Home automation/security are my next projects and I plan to use fc as my base for that too.

brlmedia
27th December 2006, 09:02 PM
Been playing with Fedora since FC2, have tried all the others and have always gone back to Fedora, got FC6 running now on my 3 year old Compaq Presario with my new Nvidia card and everything is running great! Kudos to the Fedora team!

skyshadow
1st January 2007, 07:14 PM
I've been a linux user since redhat version 6. I have used many distros but i have found fedora to be the easiest to use and the most supported forum wise. I have 2 fc6 machines for the basic stuff and i am running a clarkconnect server to control my network. I can honestly say i can do alot more with fedora than i ever could with windows. I always feel bad because i don't contribute to the community as much as i want to, but kudos to the people who do take the time to do so. One of these days i am going to start writing software and giving back. The linux community has given so much to the internet world. Thank you to all of you who give up your time and energy to make software that gives people an alternative to the norm.

cmccrea
10th January 2007, 01:43 AM
I am unfortunately one of those individuals who was born and breed with winblows and now have a large number of acronyms after my name that just indicates I have not thrown myself off a high rise building due to the stupid, unrecoverable, unresponsive, confusing BSODs and error numbers :confused: .
I have recently decided to work for myself from home and rather than having Mr Gates and his hordes of henchmen banging on my door for license fees I switched to Fedora Core 5. Have only been using it a short time and with the help of all those knowledgeable people on the forum I have managed to install it on 3 machines at the moment.
Being used to the windooze desktop :( Fedora Core 5 made a nice change in that it worked straight away without the need to install themes and all that crap.
I dare say that the only use for my extended windows accreditation would be in a game of scrabble, coz I ain't going back to the darkside.

sailor
10th January 2007, 01:53 AM
I have been using Fedora since FC1 and have installed every version 1-6. I think they all have been pretty good, but I gotta say FC6 is the best yet :)
I am eagerly awaiting the next release...

marisdembovskis
10th January 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi.
Somebody can tell me how SEARCH in FC6 works!
I start it, write the word, but it gives only results of web pages. however i know that those files exist.

Coolerthanyou
10th January 2007, 10:47 PM
I'm not awaiting FC7. Not that I wouldn't welcome improvements, but I'm pretty satisfied with 6 overall. And more importantly, getting a new version is work! I'll probably skip 7 unless it's some wonderful acclaimed rhapsody.

boppy
11th January 2007, 07:42 PM
I recently purchased a new Dell laptop and messed with the pre-installed windows on it for a few weeks, but got so tired of trying to disable services and keep it from bloating to an un-usable stage that i said forget it and installed FC6.

Install was just a piece of cake...

Intel GMA recognized and configured fine (GLX is pretty cool)
DVD rw recognized and configured fine
Media Player appears to be working fine

I had to do a one line yum update for the wireless ipw3945 to work fine ...simple
I had to configure the keyboard to handle media controls ...simple
I had to invoke 915resolution in my rc.local to get my pretty 1680x1050 resolution on startup ...simple

It does it all, no reason to go back to windows. I especially like the level of control that I get from all of the standard linux system maintenance utilities.

Installed all my development tools, plugged in a few cool themes and backgrounds and I'm done.

I am very satisfied and pleased with my system

Laptop
Dell Inspirong e1505
Core Duo T2400
Cheesy intel GMA945 graphics
2G RAM

nosnahoj
21st January 2007, 07:17 AM
I think FC6 is like FC4. Very stable. Though less bloated with services and that is a great improvement. FC5 had major tcl/tk problems, and I use amsn a lot, so I havent tried that very much, also the installer was broken, would only start with my old graphics card. I think that FC6 is a not a beginners distro anymore (for example ubuntu has more compatibility patches for the kernel it seems). I dont know how it would be for beginners, but for me its perfect that its easy to compile a kernel etc, i always have to do it for my laptop in FC, but not in ubuntu. Though ubuntu edgy somehow managed to screw up so badly that the wireless was unable to get working, and that was the reason for me to switch to FC again. I am really glad that i did it though. Linux has never been better on my computers than now. Everything I used to do in ubuntu works, and its also as stable as never before. I will probably keep FC6 forever!

CD-RW
28th January 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm just installing FC6 on my main server, after installing onto my laptop and standby server. So it's GoodBye to SuSE at long last! I like FC6 even better than SuSE now. Before the MS & Novell IP agreement I was quite happy with SuSE. But their pact has encouraged me to look for an alternative Linux distro. I'm very pleased with Fedora Core, and I doubt whether I'd go back to SuSE again, even if they dropped their IP deal with MS.

dougt
6th February 2007, 06:27 AM
Fedora Core 6 is terrific!

I am new to linux and had Debian installed on an old notebook for a couple of weeks. I was just starting get used to playing with it when the notebook gave out. About a month ago I bought a new computer and attempted to get Debian running - couldn't do it. Then I tried Ubuntu - that failed as well. Then I tried Fedora and had very few problems getting it working correctly - just needed a kermel parameter and I was all set!

Because my computer was new, the other distros had trouble because they came with older kernels. Fedora is right up to date and an excellent choice for anyone wanting to try and learn about linux.

rayjc
6th February 2007, 06:56 AM
I agree with all the posts, FC6 installed faultlessly on both Athlon 32 bit and a dual core Intel 64 bit comp. No problems, no hangups. I would like to say a big thank you to all the developers for their time and efforts in producing a superb distro.

Jumpman Da DJ
6th February 2007, 11:13 PM
Hello All:

I am a newbie with FC6 and I have to say that I am impressed. The last time I used linux was during the 8.0 release. So far I like was see and the applications are straight forward, simple and I can everything here as I did while using windows. Compared to windows, FC6 has certainly SHUT 'EM DOWN! I tell you what it feels like I have been unplugged from the Matrix they call Windows.

Kudos to Open Source!

Peace,
Jumpman Da DJ

snoze
7th February 2007, 05:06 AM
very good operating system so far!