PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2.0 and javascript intensive webpages

cypher543
29th November 2006, 05:06 AM
When I visit a page (like FedoraForum.org), Firefox 2.0 completely locks up for a minute or so. This only happens on webpages that use AJAX or Javascript effects (like the sliding menus on the bar at the top of this page). This doesn't happen on Windows.

Is there a way to fix this?

xen
22nd December 2006, 01:03 PM
I am also suffering from this problem, I've tried searching around but I have not really found any information about the problem. It's a bit of a shame really, because it makes my system feel 'slow' because things won't seem to scroll properly, especially the comment system on Digg.

I've also noticed this problem when I visit a page and require a certain plugin, such as Flash, and the yellow information bar appears to tell you this. The animation of the yellow bar is equally as slow.

The problem occurs with or without Beryl.

sej7278
22nd December 2006, 03:51 PM
firefox since 1.5 has had this problem. i think the rendering engine or javascript parser must single-task or is not threaded or something crazy, as i quite often notice a lag between loading a page in a tab and being able to do anything else (like open another tab or scroll etc).

and this is on powerful machines, like 3ghz p4's, 2ghz core2duo's etc with 1-1.5gb ram; fedora 5 and 6, laptops, desktops....

cypher543
22nd December 2006, 05:45 PM
I wonder why it would work fine on Windows, though. Did the developers just leave multi-threading out of the Linux version? I haven't looked at the source code, so I don't know for sure.

xen
22nd December 2006, 07:21 PM
firefox since 1.5 has had this problem. i think the rendering engine or javascript parser must single-task or is not threaded or something crazy, as i quite often notice a lag between loading a page in a tab and being able to do anything else (like open another tab or scroll etc).

and this is on powerful machines, like 3ghz p4's, 2ghz core2duo's etc with 1-1.5gb ram; fedora 5 and 6, laptops, desktops....

This is a reasonably sound diagnosis, I guess the lamest but maybe an effective way to sove the problem would be to find the relevant source package and search through the files for use of the 'pthread' structure. Then again we may be jumping the gun, because not everyone can be having this problem else the forum would be flooded with posts about it.

Has anyone tried to replicate this performance issue with Swiftfox (specially compiled for certain platforms)?

And how about Firefox 3.0 alpha (eww)?

xen