PDA

View Full Version : acpi_cpufreq error on xeon based machine.

rk3264
28th November 2006, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I have installed FC6 on a Dual CPU (Xeon 5130) based Dell Machine. When the machine boots up I get the following error. I have updated the Kernel to 2849. I want to do CPU speed Scaling to run the CPU at lower speed when not loaded.

FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2849.fc6/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device

Also I changed the /etc/cpuspeed.conf file to replace the DRIVER="powernow-k7" to DRIVER="p4-clockmod". When I do modprobe on this module, it is giving me error "FATAL: Module p4_clockmod not found."

What is the correct setup to have the ACPI enabled on this Machine....

RK.

ganeshsarathi
29th November 2006, 04:10 AM
Hay
I'm also getting the same error ... Any solution will help a lot...

Dies
29th November 2006, 06:10 AM
My solution may not be what you're looking for but you can always do system-config-services then edit runlevel all, turn off cpuspeed and save. Unless you're on a laptop or really concerned about energy conservation.

BNiels707
30th November 2006, 04:35 PM
I get the same error with an AMD Sempron 64. I never had a problem with FC5 x86_64, it seems new in FC6.

The only solution I found was to disable cpuspeed since it obviously wasn't working anyway. I would like a cleaner solution if one is available.

Dies
30th November 2006, 05:36 PM
I don't know if there is one unless the problem is caused by having the wrong kernel installed by Anaconda, but on a Desktop machine this really isn't needed anyway.

leigh123linux
30th November 2006, 05:42 PM
I you are using desktops just remove it

su -
yum remove cpuspeed

and another no you dont need

yum remove apmd

these are for laptops and are not needed

jtravnick
30th November 2006, 07:08 PM
This problem is not just with 64 bit as im running 32bit on my laptop and am also getting this error. There is a report of it at bugzilla bug #183681. Looks like it first poped its head up on FC5 test 3

The odd part for me was I had FC5 on this same laptop and did not have a problem with it didnt show up untill I did a fresh install of FC6.

Jim

goldstar1
5th December 2006, 05:09 AM
Shi?... That was easy! I had been reading and trying a lot of kernel changes an stuff for at least a week and this is all i had to do? LOL!

Thanx leigh123

khan1983
14th December 2006, 09:06 AM
This problem solved by updating cpuspeed.

BNiels707
15th December 2006, 03:51 AM
Yeah, the new cpuspeed update I got today (12/14/06) seems to have resolved the problem.

If you uninstalled it and want it back (power saving or whatever), just do a 'yum install cpuspeed' and you should be good to go.

benuski
22nd December 2006, 05:28 AM
Is there a specific repository that cpuspeed is in, because when I do a "yum install cpuspeed" it says "Nothing to do" but when I type in "cpuspeed" I get this:

Error: Could not open file for writing: /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Error: No such file or directory

Sorry, just installed Fedora...

Captn
23rd December 2006, 10:39 AM
I you are using desktops just remove it

su -
yum remove cpuspeed

and another no you dont need

yum remove apmd

these are for laptops and are not needed

When i try either of these commands i get this:

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.

When i also go to Applications/System Tools/Software updater i get this: Another application is running which is accessing software information and all i can do is click ok.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Ok problem solved by going to System/Administration/Services and i unchecked yum-updatesd.