PDA

View Full Version : Print button disabled in certain apps - I need to print soon!

vulture99
27th November 2006, 10:56 PM
Hi,

I am using FC6. My printers are configured ok - I can print from apps like Firefox and gedit and from the command line. And I can print test pages no problem. But the "Print" buttons in the OpenOffice and evince print dialogs are disabled. I have tried turning off SELinux, but it made no difference. Help - I need to print a paper tonight!

Thanks.

kvas
28th November 2006, 09:36 PM
I have the same problem. The print button in OpenOffice's print dialog is grayed out even though I can print from other applications. The printer is HP PSC1600 which was automatically added by HAL in FC6 installation. Any ideas?

madscientist
29th November 2006, 12:55 AM
I don't know what to say other than export your paper to PDF and then use "lpr" to print the PDF document from the command line.

kvas
29th November 2006, 04:12 PM
Exporting to PDF is not a solution, just a workaround. I'd like to have a real solution to this.

madscientist
29th November 2006, 06:23 PM
I understand that, but when a deadline is bearing down, you do what you need to do to get things accomplished. Now that the deadline has passed, I agree, people with sufficient knowledge of this situation should work to find a real solution.

kvas
4th December 2006, 11:09 AM
There was a solution to this problem on OpenOffice forum. The reason was not OO itself, it was IP settings. I had disabled IPv6 support but the localhost entry in /etc/hosts was still in IPv6 format. After changing that to IPv4 format and rebooting OO printing works again.

xen
7th February 2007, 05:06 PM
I recently experienced this problem, was a bit annoying. Everything works perfectly now and I've never been happier with my computer :)

For future reference see this (http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc6.html#ipv6) link for information and look at the 'Issue with localhost' section.

xen