PDA

View Full Version : TIP: Connection-manager

yopnono
27th November 2006, 04:03 PM
Anyone who has using wifi connections on linux based system knows it can be a pain in the **.

Now there is a person that have done a python gui script, that support WEP/WPA etc.
That run on startup and connects without the need of enter a password everytime (gnome network manager) and it also have wifi scan, click and connect, and more..

And since this is a py script it will also run on FC.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299462

Features

* New! - Ability to configure wired networks with DHCP...the ability to use static IPs will come soon
* New! - Only for Edgy: System tray applet, displays signal strength - works in any window manager
* Connect to WPA 1&2 enabled networks using WPA supplicant automatically (see note below)
* Connect to WEP enabled networks
* Remembers network keys
* Ability to change the driver WPA supplicant uses
* Connect at boot (automatically, without entering password)
* Connect at resume from suspend
* View signal strengths (works with ndiswrapper too)
* Sorts networks in strength order, with strongest at the top
* Allow you to set and change the interface used
* Use network profiles...
* Have different static or dynamic IP settings for each network you connect to
* Specify static DNS servers for each network
* Choose whether to connect automatically on a per-network basis

brunson
27th November 2006, 06:40 PM
You don't have to enter a password every time for gnome network manager if you a) save your passwords in your gnome keyring and b) don't put a password on the keyring. However, I prefer the security of having to unlock my keychain once on reboot as opposed to someone stealing my laptop and having all my passwords.

yopnono
27th November 2006, 07:54 PM
You don't have to enter a password every time for gnome network manager if you a) save your passwords in your gnome keyring and b) don't put a password on the keyring. However, I prefer the security of having to unlock my keychain once on reboot as opposed to someone stealing my laptop and having all my passwords.

Not thats true in version 7 of it, you don't need to enter the key every time.
But it's not even out yet. So on my FC and Ubuntu with Gnome network manager and WPA connection I need to enter the key.

And I hate it, so I'm happy that this person is working on this project.
Also the GNM don't work well with static IP.

brunson
27th November 2006, 08:05 PM
I'm using FC6 and the following rpms:
NetworkManager-glib-0.6.4-5.fc6
NetworkManager-0.6.4-5.fc6
NetworkManager-devel-0.6.4-5.fc6
NetworkManager-vpnc-0.7.0-0.cvs20060929.3.fc6
NetworkManager-gnome-0.6.4-5.fc6
gnome-keyring-0.6.0-1.fc6
gnome-keyring-manager-2.16.0-2.fc6

I have to unlock my keychain once when I boot, then NM connects to my WPA secured wireless without having to enter my WPA or TKIP keys. My WPA key is something like 30 characters long, I don't know it without looking it up and I certainly don't enter it every time I connect to the network.

I'm not trying to detract from the connection-manager project and don't doubt that what you say about having to enter your keys is true, but maybe you have configured something incorrectly. The statement that entering the WPA key is required every time NM needs to connect to a WPA network because of some shortfall in the NM software is false.

yopnono
27th November 2006, 08:40 PM
No I don't need to enter the key every time I connect to the network. Only the first time I login.
And it's the gnome keyring password, not the WPA key.

By the way, I did not say that I need to enter the key every time I connect to the network.
I did say that you need to enter the key every time on startup/boot when using GNM.

brunson
27th November 2006, 08:42 PM
Well, okay, I'm saying I entered my key once and I've never had to enter it again. It sounds to me like you didn't properly save it into your gnome-keyring. All I had to do was check the "save this key in keyring" box, or something to that effect.

yopnono
27th November 2006, 09:57 PM
Well, okay, I'm saying I entered my key once and I've never had to enter it again. It sounds to me like you didn't properly save it into your gnome-keyring. All I had to do was check the "save this key in keyring" box, or something to that effect.

Ok. So you are telling me that you never ever have to enter you gnome keyring password on startup / login. Only one time, and never after that?

brunson
27th November 2006, 10:14 PM
No, I said I always have to enter the gnome-keyring-password, I don't have to enter my WPA key. You said in your first post,
That run on startup and connects without the need of enter a password everytime (gnome network manager)
I said, you don't have to enter a password for GNM, you have to enter your password for your gnome-keychain.
They you said:
But it's not even out yet. So on my FC and Ubuntu with Gnome network manager and WPA connection I need to enter the key.
Here, let me quote this again:

So on my FC and Ubuntu with Gnome network manager and WPA connection I need to enter the key.

Here's the good bit:

I need to enter the key.
Then you said:

By the way, I did not say that I need to enter the key every time I connect to the network.

However, you did say this in one of your posts and I missed it:

This is true, GNM doesn't work well with static IPs, and I wish it did.

yopnono
27th November 2006, 11:16 PM
hehe ok.
I need to enter the WPA key *only* one time if using GNM. = That's ok
I do need to enter the gnome-keyring key *everytime* I boot/login = Boring

When I use the connection-manager I do *not* need to enter any key when I boot/login. = Good
Only one time when I set it up.

admun
27th November 2006, 11:21 PM

And I hate it, so I'm happy that this person is working on this project.
I got it to work... need some command-line twicking... see http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=685922

yopnono
27th November 2006, 11:27 PM
I got it to work... need some command-line twicking... see http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=685922

Does that still work in FC. In Ubuntu after an update it don't work any more, they did change something, don't know what.

So that can't be used any more on ubuntu.