PDA

View Full Version : Can't install correct kmod-nvidia

KhaiPi
25th November 2006, 03:51 PM
I just upgraded to kernel 1.2.6.18_1.2239.fc5 only to find that a key application won't run with it so I now use GRUB to boot the 1.2.6.17 kernel. However, I had already installed the nvidia driver for the new kernel and now (having removed it again) it always tries to install the kmod-nvidia for the new kernel instead of the old one (ie. the one I am booting).

The command I use is:

yum -y --enablerepo livna install kmod-nvidia

Is there a way around this? I will need to boot the 1.2.6.17 kernel for a while so I need the version of kmod-nvidia for that kernel.

Thanks,

KP

erroneus
25th November 2006, 04:24 PM
I could be completely wrong in this, but I had a similar problem when attempting to install other kernel modules. I think this stems from the "FC6 installs kernel for wrong processor" problem. My problems were solved when I downloaded the RPMs for the kernel binaries that I knew I should have installed (i686 in my case) and did a force install. This over-wrote the existing kernel. The results were more than one: My acpi-cpufreq stuff started working where it was failing before and I was able to upgrade and install the other kernel modules that I was unsuccessful with before.

I don't pretend to understand what had happened or why force-installing kernel RPMs did the trick for me. I simply deduced that since I was trying to install a kernel module for i686 kernels resulted in a dependancy resolution of the need to install an i686 kernel that I was supposed to have installed already (the install failed because the install conflicted wth the existing kernel already having been installed) that the kernel that is presently installed was for the incorrect processor type. I did not attempt to install a 586 version kernel module as a test, however... it would have made a good test I suppose.