PDA

View Full Version : java problem

tradesman
25th November 2006, 09:31 AM
Have installed java re stanton finleys guide but having problems with the plugin using firefox 2.0.
If I look in /usr/lib/firefox_2.0 folder and look in plugins libjavaplugin_oji.so has a red circle with a line running through it and in properties it says broken link.
Have tried entering a symbolic link in terminal but having no luck so far, any help appreciated.

Seve
25th November 2006, 09:38 AM
Hello:
If you follow Stan's instruction's then open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword
then assuming that you installed the latest java {jre1.5.0_09}?

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Re-launch firefox and type about:plugins and see how it goes.

Seve

tradesman
25th November 2006, 11:20 AM
Hello:
If you follow Stan's instruction's then open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword
then assuming that you installed the latest java {jre1.5.0_09}?

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Re-launch firefox and type about:plugins and see how it goes.

Seve

Thanks Seve I coppied & pasted the commands as root su - and got file exists both times have included a screenshot re the result of about:plugins as you can see no java.
manage attatchments do'nt seem to be working for me just now but I can assure you there is no java .

Seve
25th November 2006, 11:28 AM
Hello:
If the existing symlinks are there then, open a terminal and login as root using
su -
then
cd /usr/lib/firefox-2.0/plugins/
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so
then
cd /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
rm libjavaplugin_oji.so

This will remove the existing ones and then create the symlinks again as outlined above.

Seve

tradesman
25th November 2006, 12:18 PM
Just tried what you said Seve did it twice result still the same .

tradesman
25th November 2006, 05:00 PM
Ok heres what had happened I had foolishly downloded the wrong file from the sun site picked the right file and followed Seve's instructions once again and evrything worked like a dream.

tradesman
26th November 2006, 03:02 PM
Think I was a wee bit previous in saying evrything was working ok after studying things a little more it's obvious java is not working all I have succeeded in doing is removing the red flag over the libjavaplugin_oji.so plugin
but no working java as yet.