PDA

View Full Version : Scrolling in Firefox is very very slow when running Beryl in AIGLX mode

fettouhi
24th November 2006, 02:35 PM
I did a fresh install of FC6 today and that went fine. Then I installed beryl through yum

yum install beryl-kde (I'm running)

then I started Beryl with

beryl-manager

that worked great to but scrolling in firefox and konqueror is unbearable. I don't understand why? I'm running at 1600x1200@75Hz with my ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 MB card. Is there a way to improve scrolling? Should I use XGL?

Regards

André

kettu
24th November 2006, 09:30 PM
The same problem with compiz went away for me after switching to 16 bit color depth. ("thousands of colors").

rappermas
24th November 2006, 10:03 PM
I don't know why either--it just seems to be slow.

When I logged beryl and dumped some output I saw that it was outputting the same error over and over again through the standard error stream--something about not being able to append textures or something, despite the fact that everything works fine. I'm going to have another look at this later on and I'll try 16-bit color and see what that does. But remember that beryl is alpha software.

jasonln
3rd December 2006, 04:49 PM
I tend to be a distro-hopper and have tried both Beryl and Compiz in AIGLX in a number of distributions that support it, on my lowly intel i915 integrated graphics laptop (a cheap HP model with Celeron processor). This firefox scrolling issue seems to be distro-specific (at least at a high level). Here are my findings:

Ubuntu Edgy (6.10), Beryl & Compiz both work very smoothly and absolutely perfectly, with CPU usage peaking at around 6-8% when moving windows or scrolling in Firefox. Expose (the window tiling feature) and window minimizing look as smooth as Mac OS X.

Mandriva 2007, Compiz, also works perfectly, no browser scrolling issues, have not tracked CPU usage

Fedora Core 6, painfully slow scrolling in Firefox and Konqueror when Compiz ("Desktop Effets") are turned on. Have not tracked CPU usage.

I also tried Sabayon Linux 3.2, which is a really slick distro based on Gentoo but has a quick binary install and lots of user-friendly features. Comes with Beryl pre-installed and a nice gui for activating it. Unfortunately in this distro the Firefox scrolling problem also presents itself, and the CPU spikes at around 60-70% when you scroll or move windows. When you are doing nothing the CPU is at about 25%, and X is using about 15% of that.

So this is a pretty baffling problem, it seems, and perhaps trying to figure out the differences in distros in which it works and doesn't work might be a good strategy. Mind you there are plenty of complaints in Ubuntu forums from users of other graphics cards (ATI, NVidia) in which they have this same problem. But distro-hopping seems to yield some comparative information.

From my reading there are a few possible culprits:
1. Perhaps the specific version of Compiz/Beryl
2. Specific version of video drivers (helped some NVIDIA people to upgrade the NVIDIA driver, but did not help me at all in Sabayon)
3. Kernel version? Fedora 6 and Sabayon 3.2 both run kernel 2.6.18 (I think) and Mandriva and Ubuntu run 2.6.17. At the highest level this seems to be the common thread.

Hopefully this problem can be solved so that you can use Compiz/Beryl on your distro of choice. Because for right now, this is kind of a showstopper, it's really painful to surf the Web.

kaconst
3rd December 2006, 04:54 PM
Try disabling smooth scrolling in the firefox preferences screen.

jasonln
3rd December 2006, 06:29 PM
I have tried that in both Fedora and Sabayon to no avail. I'm in Ubuntu with Beryl right now, and smooth scrolling was off, and I tried turning it on, and it's the same-still fine.