PDA

View Full Version : Math Graph Paper Software for Linux ?

cmdreamer
24th November 2006, 11:55 AM
Hi, I just made a search on this subject on this forum and didn't find nothing related so here I am asking: Does anyone knows if there exists a software for Linux (preferably Fedora 5) that allow me to make Math Graph Paper to do my homework?

Any help will be welcome...

BTW, I have tried some internet sites that do the job, but what if at any given time I can't get online?

Best regards to everyone and thanks in advance.

Greetings from México.

bryancole
24th November 2006, 01:02 PM
Do you mean paper with a grid pattern onto which you draw lines and stuff?

You could use OpenOffice Draw to make a pattern yourself. I just tried this and it took me < 5 mins. You draw one vertical line along the page edge, then Edit->Duplicate it 9 times at 1mm intervals. Make the first line a thicker one. Now select all 10 lines and duplicate them all the way across the page. Do the same for horizontal lines and you've got graph paper!

Of course, if you mean you want graph plotting software on linux, there's lots of options but OpenOffice Chart is probably the quickest for simple graphs.

cmdreamer
25th November 2006, 12:51 AM
Nice advice bryancole, I'll give it a shot...

But I was thinking in a program that let me modify line thickness and spacing and so... without having to redraw it all again, anyway I'll keep searching for it thank you...

Greetings from México

Dan
25th November 2006, 02:05 AM
Hi cmdreamer.

try looking here:

Accessroies>Add/Remove Software>Applications>Scientific/Mathematics. (may not be exactly right heading name, but you'll get it from there.) There were several apps in there I think you may want to look at.

Dan

bryancole
28th November 2006, 11:41 PM
ok, if you want to be able to control/vary the line spacing, some program is required. Since scripting openoffice macros is hard, using python is easier. Here's a quick python script to draw some graph paper in PDF format (you need pycairo installed, but I think FC6 includes this by default). Hopefully, it easy enough to understand by reading the code. Copy this into a text file and run it with python.

#!python
import cairo

#set the size of the page here
w=400
h=400
#set spacings
dx = 1.0
dy = 1.0

surf = cairo.PDFSurface("CairoOut.pdf", w, h) #set the output filename here
ctx = cairo.Context(surf)

#set the line colour, in RGB
ctx.set_source_rgb(1,0,0) #these are red lines