PDA

View Full Version : Problems reclaiming disk space

oltraver
23rd November 2006, 10:03 PM
I'm somewhere between and newbie-intermediate linux user here, so if this is an easy one, please bear with me. I tried solving this on my own via Google searches, but to no avail.

I recently added a new hard drive to my Fedora Core 4 system to hold my music as my old one had filled up and crashed the system. I deleted enough to get the system happy again, the installed the new drive and moved all of the music files to the new drive, deleting them from the source. According to 'df -h' the drive space on the old drive never got below 26% free, though, which makes no sense, since I deleted over 160GB of data from this drive.

I attributed (I think, incorrectly) this to some kind of reporting issue (the df command was not really telling me how much was free..?) so I decided to copy some other data to the old music partition. Well, the drive is full again, and I have copied less than 30GB to it.

Don't know if it matters or not, but I'm doing the file transfers via a samba share from a windows box.

Here's what 'df -h' tells me now:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
182G 173G 276K 100% /
/dev/sda1 99M 14M 80M 15% /boot
/dev/sdb1 459G 166G 270G 38% /home2
/dev/shm 506M 0 506M 0% /dev/shm
/usr/disk-img/disk-quota.ext3
20G 2.9G 16G 16% /home

Please help me figure out where all of my space has gone. Thanks!

-Patrick

Jman
25th November 2006, 03:44 AM
yum install baobab will get you a disk usage viewer tool. (http://www.marzocca.net/linux/baobab.html) Have a look at what's using the space.

If that doesn't work, on the command line
du -sh /* will do essentially the same thing.

You may want to check the Trash can and other temporary places.

oltraver
25th November 2006, 06:01 AM
Thanks! It was the recycle bin of root, I suppose because I deleted them via a root mode file manager window. They didn't show up in the KDE session for the "logged in" user, but in the session for root. Interesting. Thanks again!

-P