PDA

View Full Version : Cant remove totem

fatpapa
23rd November 2006, 04:27 AM
Hello,
I find Totem to be a perplexing, and has started to over ride over applications such as real player.

So does anyone know how i can get rid of it? I have tried signing in as root then typeing yum remove totem but that doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated

Seve
23rd November 2006, 04:41 AM
Hello:
Logged in as root
using
su -
yourpassword

yum remove totem

Sve

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 04:47 AM
Hello:
Logged in as root
using
su -
yourpassword

yum remove totem

Sve

It will also take Rhythmbox along with it, don't forget.

Wayne

Seve
23rd November 2006, 04:49 AM
It will also take Rhythmbox along with it, don't forget.

Wayne
Hello Wayne:

Excellent point.

That'l fix it good.... :D

Seve

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 04:57 AM
Hello Wayne:

Excellent point.

That'l fix it good.... :D

Seve

Hi Seve,

I also wonder what else will stop working when Totem is removed? It's usually the first thing I do but replace it with totem-xine from Livna and then reinstall Rhythmbox.

Wayne

Seve
23rd November 2006, 05:02 AM
Hi Seve,

I also wonder what else will stop working when Totem is removed? It's usually the first thing I do but replace it with totem-xine from Livna and then reinstall Rhythmbox.

Wayne
Hello Wayne:
Yes, good question. I do the same thing and I guess I should not have been so flippant about it.
I know if you do a rpm -e or even a yum remove it will let you know what else it needs to take with it?
Can't test it at the moment as I don't have the same setup.

BTW how are things?

Seve

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 05:15 AM
Hello Wayne:
Yes, good question. I do the same thing and I guess I should not have been so flippant about it.
I know if you do a rpm -e or even a yum remove it will let you know what else it needs to take with it?
Can't test it at the moment as I don't have the same setup.

BTW how are things?

Seve

It's a national holiday (Labour Day) so I'm being totally lazy. Was supposed to brew today but need something to keep my fermenter warm. It's got chilly again today! I'll look in the closet for an old blanket or something...

Wayne

fatpapa
23rd November 2006, 05:16 AM
Thanks for your help BUT

[root@localhost ~]# yum remove totem
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Remove Process
No Match for argument: totem
No Packages marked for removal

Does this mean that fedora is telling me i dont have totem? I do as it keeps trying to play real player files from the bbc web site. :(

Seve
23rd November 2006, 05:28 AM
Hello;
Open a terminal and log in as root using
su -
yourpassword

and type
rpm -aq | grep totem
and post the output

Seve

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 05:38 AM
Hello,
I find Totem to be a perplexing, and has started to over ride over applications such as real player.

So does anyone know how i can get rid of it? I have tried signing in as root then typeing yum remove totem but that doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated

What kind of files do you wish to play with RealPlayer?

Wayne

fatpapa
23rd November 2006, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the replies

Seve

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -aq | grep totem
[root@localhost ~]#

rondonjin
I am trying to use the bbc player to use their listen again feature which was working fine with real player untill this working when totem started trying to do the job

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the replies

Seve

[root@localhost ~]# rpm -aq | grep totem
[root@localhost ~]#

rondonjin
I am trying to use the bbc player to use their listen again feature which was working fine with real player untill this working when totem started trying to do the job

You installed mplayerplug-in, didn't you? It's not Totem's fault, it's the plugin fault. It comes with an older version of a RealPlayer 9 compatible codec. Step one, remove mlayer-plugin and download and install this version:

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/mplayerplug-in/3.31/mplayerplug-in-3.31-1.fc5.i386.rpm

Wayne

fatpapa
23rd November 2006, 06:05 AM
You installed mplayerplug-in, didn't you

Yes you are right i have installed mplayerplugin. i got a message saying totem cant play your file so i thought is was down to totem. Sorry im new to all this linux stuff

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 06:11 AM
Yes you are right i have installed mplayerplugin. i got a message saying totem cant play your file so i thought is was down to totem. Sorry im new to all this linux stuff

No problem, we all started at the beginning :D Just yum remove the version you installed and grab the one I mentioned and you'll be back to where you were before.

Wayne

Wayne
23rd November 2006, 06:28 AM
I forgot that you will be prompted to upgrade mplayerplug-in with the version you have installed now. To prevent this, open /etc/yum.conf with gedit (as root) and put the line shown at the bottom:

<snip>
plugins=1
metadata_expire=1800
exclude=mplayerplug-in <------ add me

Wayne

fatpapa
23rd November 2006, 07:03 AM
ok thanks i shall do that

robatino
24th November 2006, 12:06 AM
When totem started overriding mplayerplug-in (presumably yesterday), I resolved it by removing totem-mozplugin. Nothing else depends on it so you can just remove the one package.