PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Configuring

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 04:26 AM
I am trying to configure my external hard drive to be compatible with linux.... it was previously used with windows.... is there any way to do it? such as samba...

Dan
23rd November 2006, 04:33 AM
(I'm assuming this is a USB device)

Just plug it in, and if you are just wanting to store data on it, just use gparted or qtparted to format it as a FAT32 drive, so you can read it in a Windows environment as well.

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 07:33 PM
i plugged it in and it wasn't work.. would it work if it was already partitioned?

Dan
23rd November 2006, 07:46 PM
Well, first, lets find out if your system can even see it.

If you haven't already, use yum to fetch hwbrowser.

yum install hwbrowser

Once you've got it, run it from, System>Administration>Hardware.

Look under the HDD and USB areas. It should be listed. If not, check that the drive is turned on. If it's still not there, we're doomed! :p (Just kidding)

And it's ok to partition and format it before you plug it in if you'd rather. Just be sure to use fat32 formatting.

Dan

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 09:31 PM
Well, first, lets find out if your system can even see it.

If you haven't already, use yum to fetch hwbrowser.

yum install hwbrowser

Once you've got it, run it from, System>Administration>Hardware.

Look under the HDD and USB areas. It should be listed. If not, check that the drive is turned on. If it's still not there, we're doomed! :p (Just kidding)

And it's ok to partition and format it before you plug it in if you'd rather. Just be sure to use fat32 formatting.

Dan

what if its a ntfs partition?

Seve
23rd November 2006, 10:02 PM
Hello:
When your USB drive is plugged in does it show up under the directory /media/

Seve

rappermas
23rd November 2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, Linux doesn't like NTFS. It can read it, but only manually. Go into XP and format it into FAT32. That way, it will work everywhere--Linux, Windows, Macs, PCs, etc..

Dan
23rd November 2006, 10:48 PM
If it's ntfs, like rapper said, save yourself a lot of trouble and reformat to fat32. Did it show up in your hardware browser?

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 10:57 PM
i am going to check once i get home... i am having to work today...

Dan
23rd November 2006, 10:58 PM
i am going to check once i get home... i am having to work today... Uhg! Sorry, man! Gonna chow down when you get home?

ryptyde
23rd November 2006, 11:20 PM
I plug in my usb NTFS ext hdd and have no problem with it in FC6. You format to FAT and you will not be able to write a file larger than 4GB. Ihave the ntfs3g modules installed and can access the ext hdd and my internal sata drive that has winXP ntfs from my sata Linux hdd.
I followed Seve's advice he had given to someone in a different thread about mounting ntfs.

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 11:51 PM
good! its a 250 GB IDE Hard Drive... Its filled with Anime & Music.... Formatting would be horrible!

xGutsAndGloryx
23rd November 2006, 11:54 PM
when i plugged it in.. a icon displayed on the desktop... i clicked on it and it give me a error message... i right clicked on the icon and noticed that it wasn't mounted.... so i am guessing all i would need to do is find out how to mount it....

Seve
24th November 2006, 12:22 AM
Hello:
One more time:

Seve

Dan
24th November 2006, 12:31 AM
Its filled with Anime & Music.... Formatting would be horrible! I wish you'd said something about that earlier. :cool:

He's your's Seve. I'm out.

xGutsAndGloryx
27th November 2006, 05:00 AM
Hello:

Seve

no it does not.....